Lee Bulge Buster Questiob.

alanwk

I am getting ready to use the bulge buster (my first time) on .40 S&W cartridges. Can I use the BB on a cartridge that is loaded and bullet is seated and crimped? Instructions seem to say yes, but I am just verifying that I understand it correctly. Don't need any problems. Thanks.

The Bulge Buster works in conjunction with the sizing ring on the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die. It normally rides over top a loaded round on withdrawal from the die. I see no reason it wouldn't also work with the BB pushing the cartridge all the way through. Just be careful you don't have a high primer when you start. Wear hand and eye and ear protection just to be sure.

I thought the Bulge Busters were used on brass only, sizing them down to the same size as a conventional sizing die, sizing them all the way through to insure they get sized all the way down to the rim.

The Lee carbide Factory Crimp Die's internal ring is larger in diameter than a sizing die or a Bulge Buster. Large enough to ride over a bullet without swaging it down, but small enough to help remove any bulges left over from seating.

I would be concerned that the bullets would get swaged down too small if you ran completed cartridges through a Bulge Buster.

Maybe I have it backwards.

Check with Lee, prolly on their website.

Well, bite my back side!
From Lee's instructions for the BB:

Slide a resized or loaded case onto
the base of the push pin (case mouth
up) and raise the ram to push the case
completely through the die. The cases
will accumulate in the catch container.

Guess that's why the mod's make the big bucks.

sizing them down to the same size as a conventional sizing die

I have and use the Lee BB's for 40/10mm (10mm in my "case" pun intended), and 45 ACP. It does NOT size them all the way down to "conventional sizing." Because of this, you must still resize after you bulge bust.

Keep in mind that the product is nothing more than additional equipment that allows you to use their Factory Crimp die in a different way for a somewhat different purpose.

I have been told that running a loaded round through the bulge buster will result in a bullet being loose in the case ie: losing its crimp

Can't be any looser than using the FCD to crimp a loaded round.
Best use for an FCD is as a Bulge Buster

Back