Lee Breech Lock Reloader

ninosdemente

I currently use RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Press, but looking to get this item solely for decapping only. Trying to take advantage of pricing on Midway plus it has free shipping. Also looking to get the plate kit. Any cons on this press?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013020665?pid=807734

Also, have been looking for a homemade primer catcher as I see I would have to make a hole on the bench to allow primers to fall to a container. Not looking to unbolt just to remove spent primers. I have also seen some 3d printed but seems for what is needed, a homemade one is more likely. What have you done? Open to suggestions if you don't mind sharing.

I have a universal decapper. Would RCBS shell holders work on this press or is other shell holders needed?

Thanks in advanced.

I have that exact press that I use mostly for decapping. I also use it to swage crimp.

It is OK. The biggest gripe I have with it is that the primer handling is pretty inconsistent. If you don't leave the ram fully extended for a few extra seconds the primer will end up jammed behind the ram. And sometimes if you leave the ram all the way up for several seconds they will still get jammed up behind the ram.

I have a shell holder not made by Lee that works in it with no problem.

If you're only going to use it to decap, consider getting a Lee universal decaping die and hand press. That way you can decap brass while watching TV. It takes some of the monotony out of it...

For years while living in apartments, I used a Lee had press to load probably thousands of rounds when I had no place to bolt down my RCBS press...

Tony

Thanks guys for the help. I too am with Unclenick, would try and wait if they go down in price. I see at Midway it is listed for $110 down to $79.99, and Midsouth listed at $79.99 down to $75.49. Then Unclenicks link has it at $69.99 but out of stock. Curious if it will really be cheaper than $70.

From doing a quick search, do see I would have to get other components, which am trying to avoid. Have to admit though.... did caught my eye. I guess this is where I have to evaluate what is really the advantage of this vs the Rockchucker besides the app not loading.

I agree with post #3 to get the APP, decapping with that is a lot simpler and the automatic case feeding makes it a much better press than the Breech Lock is. You can load with the APP press, but for seating you'd have to take the Xpress shellholder out and use a standard holder.

The only thing you can't do with the APP is use an automatic powder measure, which is the reason I bought the Breech Lock press last month to use with the Lee Auto Disk measure and it works just fine for that. About the only thing I would not recommend using the Lee Breech Lock for is sizing, it's not a strong press, but for everything except sizing, it works well.

Aguila Blanca,

It looks like the standalone version of the press #90951 is discontinued, but the version #90933 with automation kit and risers and shell holders and catch-bottle adapter included is features is new as of March of this year and is available. It costs more at FS ($99), but the MidSouth link I put up is for the new unit at only $75. I didn't realize I was comparing two different product numbers. So, getting one at Midsouth looks like the way to go.

Geezerbiker, I did see that option.... wondering how bad it tires your hand. Looks like one will have to take a break once in a while.

Is it this one:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013017453?pid=665540
It's very much like that. They changed the design a little along the way. I've had mine for 35 years. Now if you're resizing .30-06 cases with it, it can get tiring but for popping out primers, it's a breeze.

One thing to consider is it catches the spent primers in the hollow ram and once in awhile you have to take out the shell holder and dump the primers. The upside is no more spent primers on the floor and the down side is if you let it get full, it can be hard to take out the shell holder.

A few years back I extended the grips on mine with epoxy. I planned to add more but I've never gotten around to it. It's how I think Lee should have made them in the first place. I figure a dollar's more aluminum in them would make the press worth 2x as much.

Tony

So I decided to go with the Lee App. Research best I could on these two products and price/additional components if needed. If I went with the Breech, with press/plate/primer catcher it will come to around $84. So add $16 and I get the App with built in primer catcher/plate. Thanks guys for the help.

By the way I checked the bracket and bin. Was interested but seems a bit small. I have my own version of bin holder from menards: https://www.menards.com/main/hardwa...202/p-1444448923325-c-9700.htm?tid=-1&ipos=14

I have for the RCBS press. The bin sits on the brace and is loose. Is there a bracket one can get that is similar to what Lee sells to get a better grip on bin? If not, most likely will do same bin set up as RCBS press.

I currently use RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Press, but looking to get this item solely for decapping only. Trying to take advantage of pricing on Midway plus it has free shipping. Also looking to get the plate kit. Any cons on this press?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013020665?pid=807734
I have a universal decapper. Would RCBS shell holders work on this press or is other shell holders needed?

For decapping only, no cons. RCBS shell holders should work.

It's not a heavy duty press, but it's also not a heavy duty application.

If you're only going to use it to decap, consider getting a Lee universal decaping die and hand press. That way you can decap brass while watching TV. It takes some of the monotony out of it...

Hand Press good. But I'd be always filling up the little primer trap, and having to empty it.

Last edited:
I think Lee has priced the open-front Reloader press out of the market. Just two or three years ago I could buy it for $25 from Lee resellers. I was considering buying several of them for use in teaching the NRA Metallic cartridge Reloading class, since the NRA wants each student to have his/her own press to work on.

Now the Reloader is running about $40 from Lee preferred dealers, and quite a bit more than that direct from Lee. Considering the limitations of the Reloader, I think the Challenger is a much better value in a single stage press, even though it costs 50 percent more than the Reloader.

The Challenger is a stronger press design and I don't disagree with you that it's a better choice than the BLR press. I bought my BLR for a very specific purpose and wanted it to be a small, light press because when not being used I don't want it to take up space or being a chore to move around.

That's why it's difficult for me to recommend it to people as a first press. It's not a good primary press, neither is the hand press, but they're good accessory presses. The Challenger or APP press are fine beginner primary presses.

OP:

OBE now, but the Lee Reloader works fine in the role you describe. I have one and use it for that purpose.

AB:

If I recall correctly, I got my Lee Reloader free with a copy of the Lee reloading handbook.

Back