Lee 7.5 x 55 Schmidt- Rubin 2 die set

Gilley

Does anyone know if these dies can be used to load ammunition for a K-31 or are they only used for K-11 ammunition?

Yes, you'll be fine. The thing to watch when loading for a K-31 is COL. If you've run some of the Swiss GP11, those bullets look like needles. They shoot great, of course. But most any bullet you substitute will need to be seated deeper. I loaded Sierra Match King 175s at 2.933. And Alliant Reloder 17 was the only powder I found that would match the velocity of the Swiss ammo.

The only K-31 specific dies I'm aware of are made by Redding. Lee, RCBS, and Hornady dies will all resize the cases to GP11 specs. Understand that the Swiss never made K-31 specific ammo, it was all GP11. The supposed advantage of Redding's K-31 specific dies is that, because K-31 chambers are cut slightly differently, the Redding dies work the brass less thus leading to longer case life. The drawback is that with the Redding dies your reloads can only be shot in a K-31 while ammo loaded with the other dies can be shot in any rifle chambered for 7.5x55 Swiss.

When sizing your brass, load a dummy round and check for fit. I needed to bump my shoulder back a little more (screwing in the sizing die about a 1/4 turn) to get my rounds to chamber fully without a fight.

Back