Lee 459-405-HB mold issues

458winshooter

I recently got this mold for my 45-70 and 458 Win Mag.I have to say that all my molds, about 6 or 7 now are Lee and I like everyone never a problem.This one though is starting to rub me the wrong way.It seems very temperature sensative and I can't seem to find what it wants.It is the only nose pour mold I have.The first time I tried it I got lots of wrinkles,the second time it was frosty.Anyone else have this mold and find it hard to deal with?I will give it credit where most of my Lee molds throw a boolit alittle heavy this one is always right at 405gr.

That is my go-to bullet for my Marlin 1895. I love it. I have had no problems with temperature sensitivity with mine. I usually preheat it on a hotplate that my work "retired"... it still worked, they just couldn't calibrate it, so out it went.
Anyway, I digress... I preheat it, and run usually around 700-750 degrees, IIRC... it makes really nice bullets. I don't try to outrun it, just stay at a fairly moderate pace. Bullets fall out easily. I'm thinking of buying another one, actually.

Frosty does not bother me as long as I get good fill out. In fact some of the best shooting bullets I have cast were a bit frosty looking.

I've bought a few Lee six-banger moulds recently and they seem to like to run hot. These bullets in the alloy I like don't get good fill-out until just below the frosty point so I like frosty and my rifles and pistols like them too. A little more tin would give me better fill-out and shinier bullets but I like them a little soft.

I've been doing allot of casting lately and beings its winter and I'm in the shop were its colder I have to run a little hotter. Frost isn't a bad thing but if it bothers you try slowing down a little between drop and fillings.

Sounds to me like you are having temperature control issues and not mould issues. You should purchase a lead thermometer if you do not already have one. Frosty is ok but don't cast too hot. I try to cast at the lowest temp that I get good fill out, about 650-700 and some moulds do like a little hotter melt.

The closer you regulate your temperature, the better your boolits will be.

Back