Lee 452-255-RF @ 270 gr @ 1,200FPS

This bullet, cast with clip-on wheel weights @ 270 grains, water quenched and moving at 1,200 FPS...where would you draw the line at in using this for backcountry defense (under 30 yards)? What animals start to be out of it's league in terms of defense (NOT hunting)?

Thanks
Lee 452-255-RF close up cast.jpg

Last edited:
Cape buffalo?? That's a lot of horsepower. If you're talking about the lower 48, there's nothing I'd worry about with those. Just make sure they hold together on impact. They look like they'd be a fine hunting load as well. If you're down south, that should whack a hog pretty well. What animals do you have in mind? There is a big difference between a ****** off black bear and an elephant.

About like a max load from a .44 Mag, approximately. Maybe a bit slower, but good enough for anything up to black bear, anyhow.

For hunting I bet it would work on most any thing in north america. For stopping power... I dont think you can have too much gun. I agree with the above post Black Bear probably.

Bryan Pearce loaded a 280gr SWC at 1070fps in a 45 Ruger Flattop. Shot through a large black bear at 40 yards, six times. I've loaded a 275 LFN at 1060 and it blows through 8" Pine trees at 50'. You've got plenty of horsepower for anything in the 48.

Back