Leaving NFA toys at gunstore?

Beretta686

I'm getting ready to deploy for the next year & am wondering where to secure my NFA toys and have a few questions:

1. Would if be possible to leave them at a "normal" FFL? If so would I have to secure them in some sort of container that the store wouldn't have access to (I can secure my MAC-10 & suppressor in a lockable handgun case & the others in a long-gun case)?

2. I have a Form 1 SBR & SBS, that still needs to be engraved. Could I send them off to be engraved and just have it take a year? If so do I have to file the inter-state movement paperwork to send to a gunsmith?

Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Some banks have policies about storing firearms in safety deposit boxes. So, either check with your bank about that or just don't bring it up at all.

Why would a bank have an issue with a firearm in a safety deposit box? I have open carried many times into local banks here in Washignton and banks in Utah with no issues. Why would they bother keeping you from safe keeping a gun there?

Some banks may have a no-firearms policy.

I assure you that Federal law does not prohibit it and the BATFE recommends it in their FAQ.

Caveat: If you should not pay your bills, the Bank will turn the guns over to the police/ATF for destruction.

Fact remains, bank employees are not allowed BY LAW to know the contents of the safe deposit boxes...stick your receivers in a backpack, pay a visit, get into a box and store them...

Fact remains, bank employees are not allowed BY LAW to know the contents of the safe deposit boxes...

That makes it even better! I forgot all about that! They're NOT allowed to know. It's 100% private whatever you put there...

Why would a bank have an issue with a firearm in a safety deposit box? I have open carried many times into local banks here in Washignton and banks in Utah with no issues. Why would they bother keeping you from safe keeping a gun there?

I said "some banks." Try doing that in Mass, Cal, or NY.

Try doing that in Mass, Cal, or NY.

Too True :D :D I did open carry into a Bank of America in Fairfield Ca. just about 14 months ago, but I was a regular face around there and so nobody was alarmed...
No I don't' work for brinks ;)

Open carrying anywhere is a bugger these day's.

I say call your bank and ask about safety deposit box rentals and the Rules that go along with it like what's not wanted Etc... That phone call will take 45 seconds, and you will have teh knowledge that I only dream of having...

You need not mention what you wish to store, just get a list of prohibited items, like nuclear waste or something....

I said "some banks." Try doing that in Mass, Cal, or NY.

NFA weapons would not be a "bank" issue in those states. You wouldn't have those weapons in those states (at least NY) to wonder about storing them.

Re: OP

1. You could store your firearms at the residence of a friend or relative provided they are secured so that no one has access to them, that you leave a copy of your FORMS with them and that you inform ATF of the address they are being stored. I am not sure you could do this with an O1-FFL because an FFL is required to log all firearms he receives and he cannot technically take possession of your NFA items without doing the ATF transfer paperwork. If your 01-FFL is agreeing to store your firearms, store them at his place of residence as a friend and not at his licensed premises as a dealer.

2. You can ship a NFA to a gunsmith without filing paperwork, but leaving a gun with them for a year may be stretching it a little. If you do want to leave it with them for a year, do an ATF FORM 5 transfer to them and then they can do a FORM 5 transfer back when you are ready.

Back