Leave barrel "in the white"?

Beagle333

What do you think about leaving your ML rifle barrels in the white? Not bluing or browning them, that is. Just leaving them to patina on their own.
Will they just look rusty later?
Will they get their "color" evenly?
If I keep it clean and oiled, will it just stay white?

And if I do decide to try out the "in the white" phase, can I still change my mind later if I don't like what is happening and go back to blue or brown then and have it look okay?

The way it looks now......

(GPR .54 kit)
SCdVxeN.jpg

Many were left in the white and I guess it's a personal thing as to what a person wants? I personally don't mind one left in the white as it will develop a nice patina over age and use. And I consider it a "difference" between "patina" and "rust". Good honest use in the field will expose it to all kinds of weather (depending on your location). When you get home, clean it well and oil it downs but just don't polish the "white" metal - it will "age" on its own.

Nice looking GPR - is that the one that rfd sold a while back?

Good luck and enjoy!

If you're gonna leave it unfinished I could make 2 suggestions.

1. would be to clear coat it.
2. if you don't wanna clear coat then I'd recommend eezox for rust protection, it's goood stuff.

I've seen people wrap white barrels in old t shirts and kept wet with vinegar and left out in the sun for about three days and they look almost like damascus.

Bedbugbilly, yes it's one of rfd's. Midway sold out of the .54 flinter kits on that Spring sale they had before I raised the coins, but fortunately he sold this one.

The more I look at it, I'm starting to lean toward letting my 'smith put it in his rust bluing cabinet and give it a factory bluing on the barrel. I'm not too picky over whether it should be any color at all, but I'd like it to be even and I'm thinking it would just get splotchy if left to age on its own. :cool:

Back