Leathermen

HKguy9

I have a Leatherman Wave...great little tool, but thinking about another one to compliment it, for backup, or for having a feature my Wave doesn't.

I been thinking about the Crunch, but what others would make a good 'compliment' to my Wave? Others, it seems, such as the PST are woefully obsolete. Others, like the Super Tool, Pulse, etc. seem to be more of the same, and I can't tell them apart.

What do you guys think about the Crunch, compared to the Wave and others?

Micra, micra, MICRA....

If you don't already have a Leatherman Micra.... GET ONE... run don't walk.... absolutely THE handiest "multi-tool" on the market.

Although it isn't big and lacks a pliers... it's almost unoticable in your pocket and will fit the bill 90% of the time.... afterall... those times that you need the pliers or a large blade.... how far is the wave from you.... probly not very...

I'll second the Micra. Very easy to carry on a keychain, and you'll probably end up pulling out that one alot more than the Wave.
Supertool is nice too because of the locking feature. I wouldn't waste your money on any of the other styles. Not enough extras over the Wave to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Stick with the Wave. It's the best rated multitool on the market.
However, I like the SOG tool as well.
I've had about a dozen stolen from me by friends. ;)

Another vote for the SOG. I've actually worn one out--well, broke it, actually. Using it for a hammer. That seems to be the only way to do any damage to one, and it stood up to even that kind of abuse for years.

A few things that make the SOG tool better than average.

1. The pliers head folds into the tool SIDEWAYS which means that the pliers head to tool attachment can be virtually as strong as a normal set of long-nose pliers. It also means that the handles have the closed side out when the pliers are deployed--toward your hands as opposed to having the tool side of the handles against your hand while you're trying to apply pressure.

2. The tool is put together with screw & nuts (not rivets) which means you can replace broken tools yourself or tighten it up if it gets loose.

3. It has a very good SMALL flat bit screwdriver. Suitable for those TINY screws in eyeglasses and open sight adjustments.

However, if you just need a pocket screwdriver (no pliers or knife blades, etc.), the ScrewZall from Swisstech is absolutely the smallest and best thing out there. The two flat bits are hollow ground and it has TWO sizes of phillips head. Also, the design lets you use it like a T handle for breaking loose those really tight screws. And, it fits on a keychain very nicely. The steel is hardened well, and although mine has seen some heavy use, it hasn't loosened up at all. It's not stainless though, you'll have to watch it for rust.

John

The Wave is my main full-sized multitool.

As a smaller companion, I had a Micra until I found the SOG Crosscut/Crossgrip series (scissors or pliers as the main dish, respectively).

Now I don't go anywhere without the Crossgrip. It kills the Micra. Neither can take on the Wave, of course.

I have both the Micra and the Wave...I use the Wave all the time and the Micra hardly ever comes out unless I'm snipping threads off a friends' shirt or jacket...the only way for me to lose my Wave is if I've been kidnapped...the damn thing goes with me everywhere....

What do you guys think about the Crunch, compared to the Wave and others?

Haven’t tried the Crunch since I stopped getting multitools when I discovered the Schrade Multitool. It became my favorite both in form and function. It comes in two types of pliers. All blades can also be accessed with the tool closed. Cutting and screwdriver blades lock. It might be worth considering if you want a different tool with some of the best features.

Back