Leather holster for the 4" Security Six

SARuger

I might have asked this on here before but I didn't bookmark my thread :mad:

I'm looking for a RH leather belt holster for my Security Six for open carry. Nothing fancy, black or tan leather is fine. I just do not like those uncle mikes blackhawk holsters that everyone sells I want something that fits that gun

I have a locally made belt holster for a Smith and Wesson K Frame that fits my Service Six just fine. The Ruger is a tad larger, but they are basically interchangeable.

Get a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake. They can be had with a hammer strap for extra retention.

They are the finest holsters currently being made anywhere in the world, IMNSHO.

Thats one of the issues I'm finding is that Galco etc doesn't list a holster for the Security Six. I guess maybe the Gp100 or Sp101 would work

They don't list them because there just isn't enough demand for them. Dealers only stock what's going to move quickly. A holster for a Glock isn't going to set around these days. One for a revolver that hasn't been made in what? 30? 35 years...It might not move so fast. Actually I suspect if you find one on a shelf, it's been there fore a long time. One reason to prowl old gun stores.

But back in the day, I found they'd fit any holster made for a K-frame Smith & Wesson of appropriate barrel length. Might be a little snug at first, but it would stretch in. They stretch, but they don't shrink too well.

Any leather holster for a 4" revolver will do. Then wet form it. Prefer making my own to buying.
Like CajunBass says, the demand is low. None made since 1988.

Last edited:
Although the forward FBI tilt helps to hide "printing" when bending over, I find them uncomfortable because they poke into the side and you cannot bend to the right with it digging in. that is if you wear at 3 o'clock. If you slide it further back to 4 o'clock position, then the forward tilt is negated and you print when bending over anyways. Way too high on most of the commercial holsters I've tried from the roy backer pancakes to the bianchi black widows.
Also with the heftier guns, the weight is so high they they feel off balance.

Much prefer the gun to ride low so the cylinder is just at belt level.
The lower the gun, the less it prints when bending over as your fulcrum is the waist and so the grip is closer to the pivot point and prints less, even with a vertical ride.

This is after making dozens of holsters for myself at various heights and angles.

Of course each body type is different so YMMV.

Thats one of the issues I'm finding is that Galco etc doesn't list a holster for the Security Six. I guess maybe the Gp100 or Sp101 would work

The Colt Python fit works well. I think it's the Fletch.

As has been said, generally any S&W K frame holster will work for the Six guns. Ruger made sure of it since they were trying to take business from S&W.

I carry my own 4" Security Six in a Bianchi Model 111 Cyclone holster I picked up at a local gunshow for $15.00. Not only was it in like new condition, but the design of the Cyclone permits it to be worn either "crossdraw" or "strong side" positions. Lots of obsolete cop leather for the Security six floating around out there. Gunshows are usually where I find them. Regards, Gary:)

Back