Learning to shoot!

macondas

Hi all,

I've been hunting w/ rifles for years, and can tolerably well get the job well. However for years I've had a yearning (wanted to say hankering but that sounded so, well, stereotypical) to learn how to shoot better and at longer distances. I've decided to indulge myself.

I've joined my state's CMP affiliated group, and I'm scheduled for a September CMP clinic, I can't help but think that I might learn more there.

I HAD been going to the range today, but the ice cold rain falling right now has persuased me that staying in might be better for my cold.

What I'm looking for is suggestions for reading materials, both online and offline, that I could use as programs for practice.

I've been to the army's online library and couldn't find anything of use, but I would like to think that my poor luck in finding data on this would be more due to ineptness on my part, than anything else. ( I really need to find that URL again too!)

Any pointers?

Jim B. in Louisville

------------------
**P.P.L.L.**

[This message has been edited by macondas (edited March 21, 2000).]

Jim;

I suggest "The Art of the Rifle" by Cooper to get the basic concept.

Another good book IMO is "The Ultimate Sniper". There is alot of good info in there.

Also start shooting in the CMP you will pick up alot of info hanging with those that shoot these.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Originally posted by Schmit:

Another good book IMO is "The Ultimate Sniper". There is alot of good info in there.

Hey Sarge, May I ask the author of "the Ultimate Sniper"? I want to see if I can get it at my local library or book store.

Thanks
Carlyle

"The Ultimate Sniper" is written by Maj. John L. Plaster, USAR (Ret.), it is published by Paladin Press, out of Boulder, Colorado.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

Thanks for the help so far!

I ordered The "Art of the Rifle" last Friday, with second day delivery from Amazon.com it was less expensive and more quickly delivered than if I'd ordered from either chain bookstore in the area.

Also there is a website named www.jarhead.com that has some teaser pages from a manual on shooting. Just in case anyone else is interested. Thank you Tom.

Thanks for the help!! Jim in Louisville

------------------
**P.P.L.L.**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Southla1:
Hey Sarge[/quote]

Uh'um. One thing that you should never, Never, NEVER do is call a Marine Gunnery Sergeant "Sarge". We just DON'T like it. The proper way to address one would be "Gunny". :D But, please, call me Schmit.

BTW Amazon.com also carries "Ultimate Sniper".

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Some ranges have NRA certified rifle instructors who can teach you the proper shooting positions (offhand, kneeling, sitting, prone), use of the sling (loop, hasty) and the fundamentals of marksmanship (sight picture, trigger squeeze, breathing). Many times, they're happy to help.

Some good books have been published by Jim Owens and are available from him directly or from http://www.fultonarmory.com These include reading the wind, sling usage, etc.

Back