Learning to shoot

Do-Man

is the steyr scout a bad rifle to learn how to shoot high power rifles, not necessarily competition? an AR is not an option for me......

It should be a superb rifle for this purpose. It has a unique philosphy built into it, so if you get the rifle, you should read Colonel Jeff Cooper's "The Art of the Rifle". Great book even if you buy a different rifle.

2 plus K dollars for a rifle to learn to shoot with? Ya got bucks for sure. While a lot of good things may be said for Cooper's inspired Scout Rifle, what if you don't enjoy the sport (heaven forbid) and then what? Sell it cheap (Me first! Me first!)?

If you've got shooting buddies, borrow a gun and see if you enjoy shooting before you drop a load of cash.

erick jeff cooper would have your head for that black stock remarks.heaven forbid you if you got one with the pinpong paddle blot.heheh

yea i was thinking along the same lines

learning to drive in a $35k SUV?

if price is not an object, than i would start on a Blazer

the barrel changes let you have multi calibers
& lots of gee wiz CDI

i thought the scout concept was designed to be a hunting ~1 MOA gun, not a high power paper puncher

dZ

the learning to shoot is with hunting in mind. besides, i've always thought it's valuable knowledge.

i know the steyr is mucho bucks, but with a couple of handguns, shotguns, and an ak, i've only got room for 2 more. i figure a bolt and a cmp garand would be it. i was close to purchasing m1a, but i've located a place with the bare steyr for almost the same price. plus the mag issue in Kali and mag prices is making me lean towards the bolt gun.

one thing i do like about the steyr is the large scope rail. you could always mount a regular scope for more precision work, right?

Gunmart,
Yea, I know. At least I have enough sense not to want designer colors, though! :)

I have a friend who would just love to be mentioned somehow in Cooper's Commentaries. I keep telling him to shell out the big bucks for a SS with a hot pink stock and take a trip to Gunsite for the rifle class. I'm absolutely, 100% positive he would receive a line or two if he did so. Though probably not in the way he would want! :o

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited March 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited March 15, 2000).]

Do-Man,
The SS & the SSBS have many accessories to include receiver and forward rails. Check out Gun South website for details on the different varients of Steyr rifles and accessories.

Click here: GSI, Inc. to go there.

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited March 15, 2000).]

Back