Learning to clean the rifle!

Prof Young

Forum Followers:

Took 8 year old grandson to range after school today. Little dude has finally figured out "sight picture" and can consistently nail the bullseye at five yards with his cricket.

We've shot hundreds of round through that thing without any maintenance. Toward the end of our session the bolt got really hard to close. He didn't have the muscle to do it. Even hard for me to do so.

Took the gun home to the work bench and took it all a part. Could not see anything wrong. So we cleaned it. He helped quite a bit and danged if that didn't solve the problem.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Probably 90% of firearms malfunctions can be solved with a good cleaning. Good job for showing him how it's done!

I firmly believe that all firearm owners...

should be licensed to knowhow to detail and clean their firearms.

"a clean gun is a happy gun, and happy guns save lives"- some DI

22s are great and require little maintenance. With that said I will at least hit the action with a brush after each range session to keep it operating. Deep clean every 1000rnds or so.

22s are great and require little maintenance. With that said I will at least hit the action with a brush after each range session to keep it operating. Deep clean every 1000 rnds or so.
People winning rimfire 22 rifle matches deep clean the barrel after each 40 or 60 shot match.

If they don't, they won't .

Prof, my dad gave my daughter her little .22/410 kid sized handi rifle.

She’s a city girl, vegetarian and 24 years old. I asked her I’d she wanted me to sell her gun from the gun safe, prices are crazy high now.

“Nooooooooooopoooo! Grandpa gave that to meee! Never sell it!!”

The memories you’re making may well outlive you. Lovely story.

Back