Leaking batteries

John/az2

I don't know where else to turn for information of this kind, so I am posting the question here:

I pulled out the old camera and found that the alkaline batteries had leaked to the point that the release for the battery door will not open.

Is there a household chemical that will break down whatever it is that leaks so that I may open the door and further investigate for possible repairs?

Now, this could have a firearms application. Just think if this happened to your laser sight!

(...okay, that might be stretching it a bit... :))

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

I'm not sure if it will work on crusty old stuff from dry cell batteries but, try a mix of baking soda and water. I know this will neutralize and clean crude on car batteries.

Yep, what Grayfox sez. The same technique is used to neutralize browning solution too. Hint: warm the water. It helps dissolve the baking soda.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Thanks guys.

I wasn't thinking very clearly last night as I was frantically looking for a way to get photos of the Christmas activities.

Under this pressure I forgot basic chemistry.

Alkaline is neutralized by acid.

A basic household acid is Vinegar.

After doing the flat-forehead dance I got it taken care of.

And it was still a very merry Christmas! :)

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

John/az2, a lot of the digicam crowd is recommending NiMH rechargables for use in digicams. cost-effective in the long run, substantially greater endurance than alkalines, and of course they don't s**t their skivvies when they go flat. I'm using NEXcells with a Maha charger, good results so far.

[This message has been edited by Ivanhoe (edited December 27, 1999).]

John/az
Most battery manufacturers have some sort of guarantee against their batteries causing damage in any type of device that calls for alkaline batteries.

I have heard of people that have had TV remote controls replaced by battery manufacturers because of leaking batteries. It might be worth a try.

------------------
RKBA!

"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"
Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4
Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.
Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website

Back