Lead vs. Jacketed Ammunition

centralpadoug

I recently read that the smoke I am seeing when firing my H&K USP45 w/ lead 185 SWC is from the lube w/ the bullet. While this is usually not a big deal outside, it can make target aquisition difficult indoors.

I am very pleased with the combination of lead SWC 185's, and my USP45. I stuff just 4.2 grains of titegroup into the round and get a very accurate load with minimum recoil. I will be using the gun for PPC, IDPA, and bullseye (what can I say, I can't afford a different gun for each day of the week!) Therefore, limiting recoil helps immensely with target aquisition at high speeds.

I've heard all the stories about lead fowling my gun, but have had NO problems at all. I'm not exactly a tidy gun owner either...its not unusual for me to go 4-500 rounds between cleanings.

I have access to jacketed hollow points that sell for a few bucks less than I buy lead SWC's...these would help with the smoke, but would I give up accuracy? Anything else I'd need to keep in mind?

Doug

When you carry, would you carry these hollowpoints in it? If so, that's what I would shoot. In general though, a good JHP shouldn't be any less accurate than a LRN.

Interesting... you're shooting lead bullets out of the stock (polygonally rifled) barrel with no problems?

A lot of people shoot lead out of the HK's. Two of the guys on the Laser-Cast team are sponsored by HK. They shoot Laser-Cast lead bullet out of them with no problems.

Back