Lead Removal

kraigwy

I arrived early for a shotgun/steel match yesterday so decided to visit the rifle range to see who is shooting what.

Bunch of guys were shooting BRCRs with lead bullets, I noticed a couple them were using Turpentine Lube to clean their barrels. I asked about it and they gave me a demonstration of using it to clean the lead out of the barrel. It worked, I looked at the barrel before and after swabbing with turpentine. Big Difference, The first few patches came out with slivers of lead. When done ( a few patches) there was no sign o lead in the barrels.

These guys were using pure lead in the BPCR bullets.

Anyone ever try it????

My 20-1 bullets don't leave lead in the barrel of my BPCR. Just takes a little Windex w/ vinegar and a few patches to remove powder residue and SPG and they're spotless. Wish I could say that about my smokeless powder rifles. :confused:

Last edited:
I guess they must be seeing some advantage if they don't mind cleaning the lead out of there bores,I was always taught properly fitting bullets with good lube and the correct pressure for the alloy being used prevents leading 99% of the time and thats what you shoot for.

Turpentine makes sense though,you can also use Kerosene,Kroil oil or a nylon brush with some strands of #0000 steel wool wrapped around it.

Back