lead pot scare

rbf420

So i had to replace my thermostat on my lee furnace pot. I'm not very competent with electrical things. as i go about doing this i saw no instructions or warnings so i just tried to put it back the way i had it. i plugged it in the wall before screwing everything securely just to dbl check that it worked. like a natural retard i put it close to my face to see if i could here it click on. then CRACKLE CRACKLE lights out blue sparks etc. the wires on the inside touched each other and melted sum stuff and blew the breaker.

Nothing bad happened just scared myself and the roommates. Go ahead and lay into me a little, i have had much brighter moments in my life. But I do believe that there should have been at least some type of instructions or a warning with something that would call for rewiring things etc, for retards like myself. at least saying the basics and how not to burn the house down.

live and learn i guess

Go ahead and lay into me a little...

Okay. You thought it was okay to have bare wires flopping around in a 115VAC appliance? Most instructions would have told you where to connect things. The writer would have assumed you knew the basics...

Glad you weren't hurt and it didn't cost anything but your pride. (And maybe a lead pot.)

for retards like myself.

quoting Dirty Harry... "a man's got to know his limitations"

If YOU consider yourself a retard, I would STRONGLY suggest you stay away from wiring anything more powerful than 12 to 24 volts DC. At least that is way less likely to cause you permanent harm.

If you don't know how.... DON'T DO IT. Ask someone that DOES know how.
It only takes 1/10 of an amp to stop your heart at 120 volts. Most wall outlets are 15 to 20 amps. Do the math. (or get someone to do it for you :D)

... and I know, most thermostats ARE low voltage. But, to get to it, apparently you have to get in the housing where all the high voltage stuff is. High voltage AC is NOT a place to play around and hope for the best.

live and learn i guess
Most things I learned the same way. As a child most my toys were thrown in the trash not because they were broken by rough use but because I took them apart to see how they worked. As a yearling child I removed the hot cigar lighter from Dad's Ford coupe & thinking I might burn my finger while checking just how hot it would be I touched it to my belly...........still have that scar.

I've done the finger in light socket more than once, screwdriver in the “plug in”, tongue to the ice tray, etc. I'm still kicking & surely learned a few things along the way. Learn by your mistakes & move forward.

I learned to drive 18 wheelers, weld, cast bullets, load ammo & handle firearms with very little instruction. Just remember a little common sense will take you a long ways. Don't be so hard on yourself.

"NO INSTRUCTIONS OR WARNINGS"

Why do you need a warning to tell you not to mess with something you know nothing about? Either educate yourself first or find someone that knows what they are doing.

It is issues like this that lead to those crazy law suits that stem from actions such as, "They didn't warn me not to eat the razor blades".

I may not the sharpest tack in the box; otherwise I would have earned my 4 year degree in less than the 8 years it took. After 8 years of college I had only learned three basic things.

1. I don’t know as much as I think I do.
2. There is someone who is an expert in the subject.
3. Go find the expert or what the expert wrote about the subject.

:D:D:D some of this stuff SO hits home with me....:D:D:D

I am not even going to get started with my growing up, I'll just say that I have a LOT of different tee ****s to prove I was there. I will say that when I saw the initial title I had something totally different in mind when I clicked on this thread.

I have had my share of "fun" with electricity for sure. The thing is when you mess with it, you ALWAYS make sure of two things first, you, or no one else is touching anything conductive on what your working on when you turn the power on, and that no loose wires or connections are, or can be, touching anything else once it is turned on. When in doubt use Scotch 33 and put a piece around anything your think might touch something else.

Sounds like you learned, hopefully, but might want to print out the two things above for future reference.

Back