lead in the barrel

Old 454

I wanted to ask a question about barrel leading. I am currently Making and using Lyman #2 alloy.

When you get leading only in a certain part of the barrel I would like to know what this indicates.
I seem to get a little leading at the last 3/4" of my barrel on 9mm. no real problems with my .45acp or my 454 gas checked.

It takes me about a half an hour to scrub out the barrel using Butches bore shine and I will also use Safari Land Wipe out cloth for removing lead, and it comes out real clean.

But is there a reason I only get it in the end of the barrel but none in the throat or middle of the barrel.

This is in a 9mm CZ P-09 duty and my sons Zavista M-70(SP?)

I am trying to make a very good quality bullet that wont lead. I know I need to get a mold for a round ball to slug the barrel.

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

Last bit of barrel leading is usually a sign of lube fading out.

You might give a batch a tumble lube in some Alox and see if that doesn't drop it off. If that is how your lubing already, you might give them a bit heavier coating.

If you using a lubesizer then you might try some Carnuba Red from White Label or some Tac-1 from randyrat over on Castboolits in the Vendors / Sponsors section.

Usually just a switch or addition of lube will get rid of what your seeing.

For getting it out quicker you might look around and see if you can locate some chore boy copper scrubbing pads. Take a magnet with you to be sure they ARE copper and not copper plated steel. Wrap a bit around an old bristle brush and it will take the lead right out.

I need to get a mold for a round ball to slug the barrel.
Naaaagh. Just go get a box of swaged 36 caliber roundball (.350").
Tap it once on a hard surface with a hammer to flatten slightly, then lube both
ball & barrel with sizing lube and tap it into the muzzle with a block of wood.
Drive it through from there with a dowel.

I agree with a little dab of Alox to eliminate any end-of-barrel leading problem;
AND if you aren't get leading in the throat, you're probably OK on bullet diameter.

For getting it out quicker you might look around and see if you can locate some chore boy copper scrubbing pads. Take a magnet with you to be sure they ARE copper and not copper plated steel. Wrap a bit around an old bristle brush and it will take the lead right out.
Skip the off-brands, and only buy Chore Boy brand pot scrubbers. They're a copper alloy, while everything else (that I've tried) is plated steel.

I remove the clips holding them together, unroll the sheet(s), and cut it up into strips about 1-2" wide by 3-5" long, with some tin snips.

As for lube...
Carnuba Red is a good lube, but possibly too hard for 9mm use. I would lean more toward something like Lyman Orange Magic, for a test run. ...if you're using lube groove bullets, that is. If you're using tumble-lube bullets, I can't offer much advice.

What bullet and lube are you using now?
How hard are you pushing the load?

my cast are the Lee 124 grain bullets, with the lube ring. powder is power pistol or bullseye.

yup yup I will get me some chore boys. I have seen them in the stores
My current lube that I have been using is Orange Magic, but I am going to try the Hi Tek lube that you tumble on and bake then tumble and bake again, and see how I like that.

The FCD may be squeezing the bullets down a bit, and messing up the diameter. It could be part of the leading issue.

I'm not at all trying to bring this topic up to a boil, but as mentioned it could be part of it. I personally think that you would see more leading than in the last in or so of the barrel if it were, I know I did in my ACP.

That said you could try simply seating and crimping with the standard die and compare the two side by side. That would let you know real quick.

I haven't used the Orange Magic, only Alox or a blend of it and the Carnuba Red. I did do up some other stuff called Felix Lube which is good lube, it just didn't like the loads I was using it on I guess.

I would give some of each a try and try out some with some Alox smeared on them as well and see if the leading goes away. If so you just need a different lube.

I'm not at all trying to bring this topic up to a boil, but as mentioned it could be part of it.
Yea, the "FCD - good or bad" argument is not something I want to get into, either. I hate them, but I don't want to talk about it. It's a discussion that never goes anywhere, doesn't change any opinions, and just gets people angry.

I just wanted to bring it up, since pretty much everyone (pro-FCD or anti-FCD) agrees that squishing the bullet is a very real possibility - especially with thicker-walled cases.

If the bullet were undersized at the start, then the leading would have been
piled up in the throat. Being at near the muzzle, however, points more
toward the lube just running out of gas as things progressed....

(Would`na been FCD's fault)

I might try unsized if possible. If the sizing is just on the edge of swaging a proper fit, and the lube is just a tad too soft to tolerate it, the lube may be blowing out too early and allowing gas cutting- thus leading only the end of the barrel.

If this is what is going on, the primary fix is larger diameter, but in theory a harder lube might stay put long enough.

I realize that doesn't solve the problem per se since I'm sure you want to continue using the lube/sizer. But if you do a test and it works, you could theoretically just get .001" larger sizing insert for the lubrisizer and they would come out perfect from then on. :confused:

Buy some laser-cast rounds as they have hardeners that prevent a lot of that lead issue. Then see if you are having lead issues. If you can easily scrape the bottom of your slugs that you already have, then you may need some gas checks (you-tube has plenty on this).

Back