Lead dust from air rifles?

I was just wondering. I've seen lots of posts of folks plinking in their homes with air rifles. Is there a concern with lead dust? I would think so, but have no real knowledge/evidence to support the thought. Does anyone know for sure?

Heh. During WW II, no more copperclad bbs. Just lead. All us Daisy Red Ryder afficianados had to make do.

I'll be 82 in a couple of weeks. :D

Is there a concern with lead dust?
Not from the loading/firing cycle. However, if you use a powerful airgun and a steel pellet trap, you can get some lead dust & lead particles from the impact with the pellet trap.

If the pellet trap is well designed, most, if not all, of the lead should stay in the trap, but it probably wouldn't hurt to put down something under it to catch anything that doesn't.

If you use a "soft" trap then you shouldn't have any troubles. I have a trap that uses duct seal to capture the pellets and it not only avoids any issues with particles being created on impact, it's also very quiet.

kozak6's link is very good. It has the information you need.

One high school shooting coach I know put up a lead detection system of some sort to monitor the environment in the range to determine if there were any health risks associated with air gun use.

In short, no, there is no additional lead exposure to the atmosphere from firing lead pellets indoors. In the face of this data, they still went to a non-lead pellet just to assuage the fears of people who don't care about the data.

Jimro

Back