Lead Cleaning Cloth

Skorzeny

I've used lead cleaning cloth of various manufacture on stainless steel guns, particularly revolvers, and they seem to work rather well in removing lead and stubborn carbon fouling.

Naturally, as it is abrasive, it should not be used on a blued firearm. Does that prohibition also apply to inside the barrel of a blued pistol? For example, is it a bad idea to cut a little strip of the cloth, wrap it around a brush and attempt to "de-lead" the barrel of a blued or a Parkerized gun?

Thanks!

Skorzeny

Yes.
Not only is a Lead Away slighlty abrasive, the chemicals imbedded will remove the bluing. It's next to impossible to use one withou getting the "stuff" on your hands and then transferring it to the finish. I quit using the Lead Away after I left a small *fingerprint* on another gun.

Now since this is the semi auto forum, and most semi autos can be cleaned by removing the barrel, in that light, it (using one) may be Ok. Just be sure to clean any residue off your hands before handling any other parts.

FWIW, the best thing I've found for getting lead out is Ballistol cleaner. I've removed strips of lead from barrels that I would have swore up and down were clean.

I use Lead Away on the INTERIOR of the barrel and on the chambers on my blued Smith & Wesson revolvers all of the time.

I've not noticed any problems from it.

I've never had any problems with it either. Since I purposely avoid using a brush in my barrels, the lead away cloth is great for removing lead fouling.

I run a small strip of it through both my SS and blued revolvers. Instead of wrapping it around a brush, I thread the strip through the little "patch holder" tip and had excellent results. Have not had any of it touch any blue yet.

Fadingbreed,

If you want REALLY good results, use a cleaning jag instead of the oiler loop.

The jag really gets the cloth into the grooves in the barrel, and does a GREAT job of getting out any lead.

Back