lead bullet barrels

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateshooter

Does anyone make a barrel specifically for shooting lead bullets in the Ruger P series for 9mm and 45acp? A fellow competetor at the shoot yesterday thought some one did but couldn't remember who. Thanks for you reply.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

The barrel that came stock with your Ruger handles lead bullets just fine. The only guns that you shouldn't shoot lead in are guns with polygonal rifling, ie; Glock, H&K, Kahr to name a few. Shoot all the lead you want in your Ruger.

Thanks for the reply Rob. You are correct, my P89 will shoot lead bullets with no functioning problems, but it shoots patterns rather than groups. Also the barrel leads up quickly. My Taurus on the other hand has shallow rifling, a smoother bore and will shoot lead very accurately and not lead up. I am looking for a barrel that is designed for just lead bullets, ie polished out etc.
for the P89, as a second barrel, so that I can change barrels when shooting different bullet types.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

That was some good Info. May I ask why you should not shoot lead in polygonal rifleing?
I dont no about that,thats why i am asking.
thanks

I have the thing about not shooting lead in a glock for a long time and still do not understand the rumor.I shoot a 19 and all I shoot is lead.A friend has a 21 and it has had at least 40000 rds shot through it,lead and no problems.Clean the barrel and don't shoot too soft cast or too hot a rounds and you will have no problems.By the way don't shoot a mess of lead and then clean the barrel with a jacketed round.The pressures can get high in any weapon doing that.
Bob

Lead tends to build up in polygonal barrels much faster than in standard barrels. This can, as you note, lead to excessive pressures and big problems.

The warnings against lead are probably aimed at the average shooter who doesn't clean his (or her) weapon after every use.

My son shot my Glock 17 during his police training, and they had Glock-trained armorers there. They shot only lead bullets. We cleaned the barrel thoroughly every evening. He had no problems. And had the tops pistol scores.

I shoot only copper-clad bullets and don't reload, so its a non-issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back