lead build up, making barrel smaller?

rbf420

i just took my ccw class today... the instructor told us that we should refrain from extensivly using straight lead ammunition in semi-autos, because of the grooves in semi auto barrels are such that lead build up in the grooves would cause the barrel size to get smaller thus causing a stuck round and exploding like shooting a 45 in 40... not the exact words but gets the point across. i asked him about lubed leaded bullets.. as i hand cast for all my guns... and shoot them extensivly... he said he wasnt sure.. he didnt seem to dead set on this but seemed more as if this was info handed down...

is this even remotely probable with properly lubed and cleaned barrels?

would not the proper cleaning of the barrel keep the lead from building up in such a way

i guess if u shot straight lead and never cleaned ur gun i could see build up becoming excessive enough to do damage.. but i think its full of crap

any anwsers?

I`d a told em to go blow that smoke someplace else !!!!

I`ve shot a 44 100s of times without doing nuttin but cleanin the smut off the frame !!!!

Uninformed people forming there own opinions & a MYTH is born !!!

But that`s OK more lead for us !!!!:D

If there were any truth to this statement, A 22 long rifle would be a throw away rifle after a couple years. I have one that will be 50 years old in February; I got it for my 11th Birthday. I have a Dan Wesson 357 I bought in 72 that has seen nothing but my cast Bullets, as well as my 9MM ,45ACP and 45Colt. .

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.
Charles Darwin

Well when my 45 gets so leaded up I just start shooting 40's thru it. After a while, then I can start shooting 357's thru it. Not long after this I can start shooting 22's thru it. Am I the ONLY one doing this...??? :D

I would have told him to do some research before he opens his mouth. He musta heard this from his sister's buddy's boyfriend who once had a friend who had an older brother who once saw a guy at a range blow himself up because he never cleaned the built up lead out of his gun. :rolleyes:

Yote hunter yo crazy. As long as you use a good quality of lead that is harder than streight lead an lubed proper You will be ok. Lead wheel weights with a bit of nickel in it will work just fine. wheel weights are harder for some reason an I used it for years untill I found some nickel, makes them shinner also.

Lead wheel weights with a bit of nickel in it will work just fine.

:confused: Not sure where you're getting your WW's from, but mine are lead, tin, and antimony...

WW's are harder due to antimony content. Not sure where you're deriving 'nickel' from.

I would have told him to do some research before he opens his mouth. He musta heard this from his sister's buddy's boyfriend who once had a friend who had an older brother who once saw a guy at a range blow himself up because he never cleaned the built up lead out of his gun.

Could be from sniffing too much copper fouling solvents---I hear those are pretty nasty. I wouldn't know though--I just wipe a little lead smudge out once in a while and call it a day...

Last edited:
I think there`s a little nickel in the store bought 95% plumbers solder .

Some copper & other stuff I can`t seem to remember rite now to make up the rest of the 5%.

Expensive but works good !!! I usually cut it into 1oz peices to strech it as far as I can !!!:D

Back