Lead BBs out of the "Pirate gun"

Prof Young

So I got some lead BBs to try in my CVA Hawken made-from-a-kit pistol. I wasn't sure how many to put in so I weighed a fifty cal lead ball and made a "dipper" out of an old Mosin steal case that would dip up the number of BBs that weighed the same as the ball. Loaded in 40 grains of pyrodex. Put a wad on top of that. Poured in the BBs. Put a wad on top of that. At seven yards the spread was HUGE. Like 18 inches or more. At 4 yards it went down to about ten inches.

There is, of course, no practical purpose for this save FUN. And it was.

And, by the way, I've figured out how to get that thing to go bang every time. Not more percussion cap failure. The only down side to that gun, and its fun, is that it takes about as long to clean it as it does to shoot it. And if don't protect the inside of the barrel, it starts to rust, at least up near the crown.

Nonetheless a lot of fun.

Life is good.
Prof Young

BB shot

I have for a long time wanted to get the Traditions Blunderbuss, dock the silly Elmer Fudd trumpet muzzle to a more sensible flare, and shoot lead shot from it as well. Purely for fun . Arrrrrrgh!

Thats awesome. That pistol has a rifled bore, right? That could explain the huge pattern. If its a smooth bore try the sky chief load in it. I don't see why it wouldn't work in a pistol too. I have a Traditions Kentucky pistol. And I'm thinking real seriously about sending the barrel to Mr. Hoyt and have him ream it to a smoothie. I just sent a .54 renegade to him with a crusty bore and had him ream it to a 56. For some reason I'm on a Smooth bore kick.

I have for a long time wanted to get the Traditions Blunderbuss, dock the silly Elmer Fudd trumpet muzzle to a more sensible flare, and shoot lead shot from it as well. Purely for fun . Arrrrrrgh!

Isn't the cartoonish muzzle flare the best part?

I’ve made a small paper package of shot out of my 54 plains pistol & it help hold the pattern tighter a bit further out but it’s hard to overcome the rifling spin that throws the pattern wide very quickly. Really need a smooth bore for shot & wad actually helps a lot.
saPjLKwl.jpg

2ZEMXJIl.jpg

The Tradition's Blunderbuss would be cool but the bore is too small. The Indian made ones have a more appropriate bore size but I'm still leary of them still yet. I just may have to do what I did years ago with a high point, buy one and see what they are all about.

Back