lead away

Bezoar

im curious on this one, as lead away clothes normally contain some kind of ammonia based compound.

When amonia cleaners are normally left in a barrel, they damage it. so when a piece of lead away cloth is pulled down a revolver barrel, just what kind of damage is being done to the gun barrel if any?

I don't think you're going to hurt anything but it is mildly abrasive and the grit left behind should be cleaned out. A piece of copper Chore Boy scrubbing pad wrapped around a bronze brush is the best lead remover.

I always run 2 - 3 patches through the bore after I use a Lead Away patch. This should remove any chemicals or grit left behind.

I'm sure everyone knows this, but. Keep the Lead Away cloths away from any blued finish............

shooting for half an hour did a lot to fade my cylinder faces blueing job. looks better then some used stainless guns ive seen.

ive looked at cast lead bullet forum photos and the style of leading i have is sometimes considered "new barrel before proper break in'. SO will lead away or chore boy help with break in?

I've gone through dozens of lead wipeaway cloths on aluminum, stainless, etc. I've never seen any issue like you're suggesting.

its just that i may be able to get lead away cloths locally. but no one has chore boy or similar. cant even get brass wool.

unless you want to use copper coated stainless stell pads, your choice is that plastic scotch brite stuff.

Bezoar said:
shooting for half an hour did a lot to fade my cylinder faces blueing job. looks better then some used stainless guns ive seen.

ive looked at cast lead bullet forum photos and the style of leading i have is sometimes considered "new barrel before proper break in'. SO will lead away or chore boy help with break in?

Don't use the lead-away cloths on a blued gun to clean the cylinder face. I hear they will take the blueing off (but I haven't tried).

Work great on the face of stainless cylinders, or anywhere on stainless. H used to get lead out of barrels as well. Good stff IMO.

Back