LCr?38 Chief has a tough trigger and don't es kick a little more pl.O

ZVP

Any real life examples 38 vs .22WMR? Maybe fz.38 vs 22 RF.
Frankily my day does kick a bit
I knew .22 first shot stops are rare, .38 is good for stops
Dave

Get the cat off the keyboard and repost. :D

The Ruger LCR seems to have a good following but $500 and it's not a Smith and Wesson might be a deal breaker for S&W fans.

I've shot the LCR .357 and fired TWO rounds of range .357 158 grain ammo and I just won't do that again if I have a reasonable choice. I will fire 125 grain .357 rounds but not many during a single range session.

I'd really like J frame Smith but I sure wouldn't turn down a Ruger LCR if someone gave me one.

If you're basically asking if the Ruger LCR in .22 WMR is better than .38, do not even consider it. Firstly, it's a rimfire gun, it's not nearly as reliable as a .38 is and just because you get an extra round in the cylinder, doesn't make it a better choice.

Second, the defense ammunition you'd want to use, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX1, Hornady Critical Defense, is never in stock for .22 Magnum. I've been looking EVERYWHERE for 6 months for those three .22 Mag JHP loads, I've come up with diddly. If you buy any old .22 Mag ammo, you're better off buying the .22 LR, getting an 8 rd cylinder, and loading it with the hyper velocity 40 grain loads like CCI Velocitor, Winchester Hyper Speed, or Aguila Interceptor.

Thirdly, the concealed hammer of the LCR makes for a lighter primer strike, and that's no bueno for rimfire.

IMO, Ruger should just drop the .22 Mag LCR for various reasons. The only people that buy them are people who are ignorant and think because it's got magnum in the name, it's automatically better than Long Rifle.

If you're asking about .38 Special vs .22 Magnum in general for defense, I don't see any reason to give up the .38 for a .22 Mag for reasons mentioned above, unless you just plain can't handle shooting .38 anymore.

If that is the case, I'd look at getting a .32 S&W Long or H&R before a .22 Magnum or Long Rifle.

If you don't feel comfortable buying a .32 revolver because ammo isn't easy to find other than on the internet, that's understandable. In that case, go with a .22 LR snubbie, use the loads I mentioned above, and good luck.

^^^ Let's also remember that .38Spl 148-grain lead hollow-base wadcutter (LHBWC) target loads have a reputation for performing remarkably well in ballistic gel tests, while offering less recoil than virtually any other commercial .38Spl loading. Even though the bullet won't expand, the sharp edges will cut a nasty hole in whatever they pass through, and the flat front ensures effective energy transfer.

Hornady also offers a reduced-recoil .38Spl 90-grain Critical Defense® Lite™. I've never personally tested it to evaluate how the recoil feels compared to a 148gr "mouse phart" wadcutter, but at least this ammo is consistently stocked at my local Academy Sports stores, unlike the elusive .22Mag loads that TT mentions.

Overall, I agree with TT in most every respect; a .327 Federal Magnum LCR loaded with .32 H&R Mag or even a hot .32 S&W Long (e.g. Buffalo Bore) is a better answer to the question that a prospective .22Mag LCR buyer is asking. :) This is particularly true considering that the .22Mag and .327FedMag LCR models both have 6-shot capacity, unlike the S&W Model 351PD, which at least gains one round with 7.

Although I've previously written that the .22Mag Gold Dot and PDX1 loads compare favorably to plain-Jane .32 Long, (a) this is basically ALL the performance you're ever going to get from a .22Mag LCR whereas the .327 can turn up the heat, and (b) this counts for nothing if the ammo can't be found. :(

Chris, I wasn't even focusing my .32 proclamation on just .327 Magnum, I mean ANY .32, even the original (AKA not .32 Long) .32 S&W that was made in the 1800's as being better than .22 Magnum.

The only DA .22 Magnum I know of that holds more than 7 rounds is a Taurus. Questionable quality and customer service associated with Taurus aside, I don't think adding 2 or 3 more rounds of .22 Mag beats 6 rounds of .32 or even 8 rounds of GOOD .22 Long Rifle unless we're talking about those specific .22 Mag loads that I mentioned before.

If that .22 Mag ammo was at every corner store for $15/50 rd box, then I would consider questioning whether to go with .22 Mag or .32/.38/.22 LR. Since that's not the case, nor do I think it ever will be, I stick with my original statement.

And were things to be different, there's no guarantee that ammunition will be available during the next panic crises when another anti gun politician gets close to entering the oval office.

TruthTellers said:
...I mean ANY .32, even the original (AKA not .32 Long) .32 S&W that was made in the 1800's as being better than .22 Magnum.
I disagree a little here; I think that the specific loads you mentioned will beat out .32 S&W Short/Long loaded with ordinary round-nose bullets. You really need a LSWC, LHBWC, or LDEWC to get decent terminal performance in .32.

However, compared to .22Mag FMJ or conventional JHP varmint loads for rifles, I'll agree with you all day long; from a short barrel, these loads combine blinding muzzle flash and deafening blast with rapid cylinder fouling and consistently weak terminal performance. :rolleyes: And again, the modern SD .22Mag loads may be better, but if the ammo is effectively unobtainable, does it really matter? :rolleyes:
TruthTellers said:
...there's no guarantee that ammunition will be available during the next panic crises when another anti gun politician gets close to entering the oval office.
Actually, you touched upon one unexpected advantage of .32 caliber: .327 Federal Magnum, .32 H&R Magnum, and .32 S&W Long were some of the few pistol cartridges to remain consistently easy to find throughout the last 2 Panicky Squirrel Rodeos. ;) My local Academy Sports actually stocked up on these calibers in 2014 so their shelves wouldn't appear empty. :D (They also had a peculiar overabundance of 9x18 Makarov, 9x23 Winchester, 4.6x30 HK, 6.5 Swedish, and .300 Savage, but I digress. :))

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
...I mean ANY .32, even the original (AKA not .32 Long) .32 S&W that was made in the 1800's as being better than .22 Magnum.
I disagree a little here; I think that the specific loads you mentioned will beat out .32 S&W Short/Long loaded with ordinary round-nose bullets. You really need a LSWC, LHBWC, or LDEWC to get decent terminal performance in .32.

However, compared to .22Mag FMJ or conventional JHP varmint loads for rifles, I'll agree with you all day long; from a short barrel, these loads combine blinding muzzle flash and deafening blast with rapid cylinder fouling and consistently weak terminal performance. And again, the modern SD .22Mag loads may be better, but if the ammo is effectively unobtainable, does it really matter?
Buffalo Bore makes a hardcast wadcutter for .32 S&W Long. It is safe to shoot in all non break top actions and is the best defensive .32 S&W ammo available. Is it better than the Big 3 .22 mag JHP ammo better? Idk, but I can say that in a snub nose, yes. I've seen enough 2 inch or less barrel tests with the short barrel .22 mag ammo that those loads need a longer barrel to be more effective. Then, as you said, if you can't get that ammo, does it matter? IMO, no.

:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
...there's no guarantee that ammunition will be available during the next panic crises when another anti gun politician gets close to entering the oval office.
Actually, you touched upon one unexpected advantage of .32 caliber: .327 Federal Magnum, .32 H&R Magnum, and .32 S&W Long were some of the few pistol cartridges to remain consistently easy to find throughout the last 2 Panicky Squirrel Rodeos. My local Academy Sports actually stocked up on these calibers in 2014 so their shelves wouldn't appear empty. (They also had a peculiar overabundance of 9x18 Makarov, 9x23 Winchester, 4.6x30 HK, 6.5 Swedish, and .300 Savage, but I digress. )
During any panic the most popular cartridges will go first, that's why .22 rimfire disappeared so fast. Even the most disinterested gun owners, the ones who own a gun but keep it in a closet for decades, have a .22 LR. I heard stories that 9mm and .45 could not be found, but .40 S&W was a plenty.

To me, the real advantage of the .32 caliber over .22 rimfire isn't just super low recoil or availability, it's reloading. When the next panic comes, and it will come, .22 LR will disappear again. .32 requires maybe 2 grains of powder or about $.03 and the bullet about $.08-.10 along with the primer at $.03 makes for a total cost of $.16 a round. When the next .22 shortage happens, you'll be able to make your own .32 and you won't suffer from a shortage and you won't overpay.

I agree totaly with the reloading aspect. I have been reloading for over 35 years now and ammo panics and shortages don't have much affect on me. If you reload you can tailor a guns recoil to something that is easy to handle.

I have loads for a 38 snub with lead 9mm bullets in 124gr weight and they are very easy to shoot. They are only going around 750-800fps so they are not a powerhouse load but I bet they would get a BG off me.

And I am all for a 32 long revolver for low recoil. I have 2 model 30-1 and one model 31-1 in 2, 3 and 4" barrels lenghts and really enjoy shooting them. I load a 95gr lead bullet to 850fps from the 2" barrel. That should pretty much match some of the loads from Buffalo Bore that are over a dollar a round.

I also have a model 431PD in 32 mag and its loaded with an 85gr Hornady hollow point and a max load of Hogdon Lil Gun. That load go over 1300fps from a 5.5" barreled ruger SS and I am guessing way over a 1000fps from the 431PD and is still a light kicking load.

And even an unexpanded lead bullet from a 32 long should have a bigger frontal area than an expanded 22 mag bullet. I really like the 22 mag round but think it starts doing its best with a 4" barrel and the longer the barrel the better it works.

Ratshooter, from what I've seen in gel tests, the .22 Mag JHP expands to about .375" which is bigger than the .313 of a .32 bullet. The issue with that is there are only three factory loads of .22 Mag that expand at handgun velocities, three factory loads that have not been available for over a year.

If thats the case then those bullets must be flat as a disc to expand that much and when they do I the penetration is pretty much over with. I would rather have the penetration any day.

Last edited:
I would take 32 over 22 for SD every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I am amazed when people assume that there is 38, then 22, and nothing in between.

tallball said:
I would take 32 over 22 for SD every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I am amazed when people assume that there is 38, then 22, and nothing in between.
When they never see the ammo or a revolver in .32, I can understand why.

Funny this topic would come up. Was at my LGS the other day and a guy was speaking with the owner and pulled out his LCR in 22 mag and was showing it off talking about how great it was for self defense. He just went on and on.
I kept my LCR in 38 in my pocket and my mouth shut. But I might have been unable to suppress a few eye rolls when he wasn't looking.

When they never see the ammo or a revolver in .32, I can understand why.

The guns in 32 caliber almost have to be hunted down and looked for. They are not common and neither is the ammo. The best ammo is the stuff you load yourself and not the weak stuff designed to be safe in turn of the century guns. And the stigma of using handloads stops a lot of people from doing so.

And I for one will not pay the dollar+ cost of ammo from Buffalo Bore. So the amount of folks using the 32 is going to be small. Too bad because its a very good round for the recoil sensitive.

And I for one will not pay the dollar+ cost of ammo from Buffalo Bore.
This I don't understand. If you own a gun for defense, why wouldn't you pay the money for a box or two of good defensive ammunition? It's not like that's the only ammunition you can or will ever shoot from that gun.

Were it me, I'd buy two boxes, shoot one to get use to the recoil, POA/POI, and keep the second for social use.

.32 Long target/plinking ammo can be bought online for the same price of .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and good .22 Magnum. Sure, the price of it will never be cheaper than .22 LR or 9mm, but if someone is VERY recoil sensitive and they want something reliable like centerfire and it has to be a revolver, .32 is the way to go.

Good question with a simple answer. Because I have been reloading for over 35 years and reload for everything I shoot except for 25acp. I also cast most of my handgun bullets and I can cast the same bullets that Buffalo Bore uses and load them just as hot and do it for a far lower cost than they charge.

And I have no problems using handloads for SD. I have asked several cops about using handloaded ammo including my uncle who was a homicide detective on the Ft Worth PD and then lead investigator in the Tarrant County D.A.s office until his death and the responses have all been "make sure its a justified shooting and you will be OK". Or my uncles response. "There ain't but two people who knows what happened and one of them ain't talking". I miss that man everyday.

Back