LCP extractor breakage, any aftermarket options or similar experience?

Carmady

The extractor on my LCP Gen2 broke (at about 750 rounds). I looked for aftermarket replacements, and found none. Ruger sent me a free replacement and it's installed. I like the little gun, but given my experience with this pistol I can't help but feel it's not a great choice for SD.

Is the LCP extractor MIM? I've never broken an extractor before, and was wondering if if the LCP extractor might have broken due to being an MIM part. I always chamber rounds from a mag, and never close the slide over an already chambered round.

Have any of you had the extractor break on your LCP?

Edit:
pics to try to show where it broke

Attachments

• LCP extractor (1).JPG
    LCP extractor (1).JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 81
  • LCP extractor (2).JPG
    LCP extractor (2).JPG
    30 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I have a couple of thousand rounds out of mine. Never have had a problem with it. Good to hear that Ruger was so good about sending a replacement without you having to send the gun back.

I hope it keeps working for you. I carry mine whenever I can legally carry it.

Just curious, how many rounds through your LCP? Do you change out the recoil springs on a regular Maintenance schedule?
Personally I would get Ruger to send me the Extractor and springs and do it my self and clean out the firing Pin channel if you have not already done so. When broken down look at all the parts for wear. You can have Ruger send you those as well. Also have them send you a take down pin or just buy some extra's and replace them on schedule.
Remember, to always check the frame and grip for cracks. Especially starting around 1500-2000 rd.

PS I had a number is issues with my LCP's but never a extractor problem.

Last edited:
Did it still function with the broken extractor?

I ask only because I have a Ruger Mark II with a broken extractor & it still functions 100%.

Just curious, how many rounds through your LCP? Do you change out the recoil springs on a regular Maintenance schedule?
Personally I would get Ruger to send me the Extractor and springs and do it my self and clean out the firing Pin channel if you have not already done so. When broken down look at all the parts for wear. You can have Ruger send you those as well. Also have them send you a take down pin or just buy some extra's and replace them on schedule.
Remember, to always check the frame and grip for cracks. Especially starting around 1500-2000 rd.

PS I had a number is issues with my LCP's but never a extractor problem.

1) 754 rounds fired; round 753 was first FTExtract.

2) No need yet due to low round count; extractor broke while using original factory springs. Did try a Wolff 12 lb recoil spring for awhile in hopes of reducing the amount of lost brass.

3) Ruger did send me replacement parts, and the extractor was installed a few days ago. Haven't fired it since, but it did extract a snap cap.

Did it still function with the broken extractor?

It wouldn't extract, but would still fire. The day it broke I took 181 reloads and fired all of them. Rounds 180 and 181 failed to extract. The last round also failed to feed because the next to the last round's casing was still in the chamber.

Last edited:
It wouldn't extract, but would still fire. The day it broke I took 181 reloads and fired all of them. Rounds 180 and 181 failed to extract. The last round also failed to feed because the next to the last round's casing was still in the chamber.
I learned to change out recoil springs every 500 rds. But each to his own. Glad things worked out for you.

I don’t think MIM in itself is a death knell. HK uses MIM for their extractors, hammers, and slide releases IIRC. Even certain aircraft parts are MIM.

I think if it happened only one time I would assume a bad part. More than once I’d be concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if it happened only one time I would assume a bad part. More than once I’d be concerned.

I don't recall reading of it happening, so I guess it's not an epidemic. I was surprised that I didn't find any aftermarket replacements, but that's likely because there's not enough demand for anyone to make them, which indicates the factory extractors are doing fine.

I'll take it as good news that no one here has reported any broken extractors.

Considering a company started milling LCP slides to take sights and you have aftermarket springs and guide rods from Galloway/Wolf/others...

I think you're right. Not a known issue.

I shot the LCP for the first time since replacing the extractor. Also wanted to test the MagGuts with factory FMJ for reliability. 169 rounds fired today, which was an assortment of 95gr FMJ from Rem, Am Eagle,and Winchester, plus 46 rounds of Sig Sauer 100gr FMJ.

100%, zero malfunctions. That was with the stock recoil springs and the MagGuts +1 kit.

Earlier I tried the MagGuts with a 12 lb Wolff recoil spring, and had many FTFeed, so I switched back to the stock springs.

Since then the MagGuts + stock springs combination has been fired 494 times with one FTFeed, and that was in the first 71 rounds after switching back to the stock springs.

One FTFeed out of 494, that's good enough for me. The stock springs, MagGuts, and Sig 100gr FMJ will be my new formula for .380 ccw.

I had an extraction issue on my LCPII and called Ruger on a Monday morning. I had the gun back the following Monday and it has never given me a problem since.

The extractor on my LCP Gen2 broke (at about 750 rounds). I looked for aftermarket replacements, and found none. Ruger sent me a free replacement and it's installed. I like the little gun, but given my experience with this pistol I can't help but feel it's not a great choice for SD.

Is the LCP extractor MIM? I've never broken an extractor before, and was wondering if if the LCP extractor might have broken due to being an MIM part. I always chamber rounds from a mag, and never close the slide over an already chambered round.

Have any of you had the extractor break on your LCP?

Edit:
pics to try to show where it broke
I'm not sure why you feel you cant trust a gun that gavebyou 750 trouble free rounds?

Back