LC Smith

mspf

Inactive
I have iunherited a LC Smith 20 ga side-by side. The serial number is 5549. It has a bobwhite quail engraved on the side plates. Just wondering about when it was manufactured and the approximate value of such a weapon. I was planning on using it as my working gun for quail & pheasant.

Thax,
mspf

You are a fortunate one. Condition of the piece is uppermost in deciding value. I would suggest getting Fjestad's book of gun values. Enjoy.

I don't have any specific research material, but a small gauge Elsie is a treasure, worth a lot in money and shooting quality.

LC Smith 20 gauge is listed as being made in 1908 SN5549. Because there were number of diffrent grades and models I can't help you on the value, perhaps some one else can.

Grades of pre-1913 Smiths:

www.lcsmith.org/Grades/pre1913.html

No. 2 - "It usually had ducks engraved in a circle on the right lock plate and a quail in a circle on the left. Some variations have been noted."
"These guns sold for $80 in 1892 and $70 in 1912. A total of 12,887 were made, and 5,044 of that total were fitted with automatic ejectors."

No. 3 - "Usually, this grade had ducks (right lock plate) and quail (left lock plate) engraved in ovals, rather than in circles, as found on the No. 2 shotguns."

According to information contained in a book titled L.C. Smith Shotguns by Lt. Col. William Brophy, USAR Ret., your 20 Ga. hammerless, ejector gun, Serial No. 5549, was manufactured in 1909, and was part of a production run that included serial numbers 5,380 through 5,677.

My guess is that yours is a No. 00 Gun, introduced in 1898 and produced through 1912. The 20 Ga. version was introduced in 1908, and was available equipped with optional automatic ejectors as well as the Hunter One-Triger. A key to identification as a No. 00 gun will be marking on the barrel(s) reading "Armour Steel."

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and good shooting!

Back