LC Smith Field 12G SxS questions

jmstr

Hello,

In 10 days I'll be bringing home the above listed shotgun, and I am pretty happy about it.

It is a 1947 manufactured Field grade, although the advertising from 1939 on calls them an 'Improved Field' grade.

30" barrel, and all in pretty darned good shape, for a price I am content about.

Realistically, I'll probably have it out to shoot 2-3 times a year [yes, with <3dram non-steel loads].

I have a few questions, and keep in mind my life right now doesn't allow for a large floor safe.

Storage.

I am used to rifles or pump/semi shotguns. Is it better to store a SxS shotgun fully assembled, or is it better to break it down for storage?

I assume it is best to leave it stored uncocked. This means either leaving it in 2 pieces, or leaving it with A-Zoom 12G snap caps in it to dry fire it and leave it locked closed.

IF I properly prepare it for storage [oil, including wiping down the barrel], is it safe to leave with A-Zoom snapcaps in it? Is there a better brand for this purpose?

Note: I have become disenchanted with Traditions snapcaps, as the primer pockets deformed so much it affected cylinder revolutions.

I seem to remember it is better not to leave it with a chamber mop in the chamber, but my main concern is how to 'dryfire' it and leave it all in one long piece in a lockable gun case. That is why I am thinking a-Zoom snapcaps.

Any other tips would be welcome.

Thanks.

Is it better to store a SxS shotgun fully assembled, or is it better to break it down for storage?

Assembled, snap caps in, hammers down on empty chambers

Even better than AZOOMS are Pro Shots brass primered, spring-loaded primers

Thanks. Of course, if snapcaps are in, i can't remove them without recocking, so the chambers can't be truly empty, right?

Empty as in no live ammo, but yes you could remove them by removing the forearm after firing, take the barrels off, remove the snap caps, then reassemble barrels and forearm. The hammers will be down on empty chambers.

I store my doubles fully assembled, uncocked via snap caps. I've also heard not to use snap caps with mops, but I've used them for decades without a problem. I always saturate the mops with a good preservative. I prefer not to break down the shotguns more often than necessary because I suspect that, over time with many disassemblies, undue wear and tear on mating parts could occur.

I store all of my O/U's in my safe fully assembled....and I use the same system FITASC suggested...

When I come off the clays field...I put in snap caps - and dry fire the barrel...and take the gun apart for transport in a takedown case. Since the barrels are already fired...when I get home, I clean the gun -- and then reassemble and put it in the safe ( without cocking the hammers).

Since I don't leave the snap caps in the gun ...I don't worry about the mop issue / but I prefer the A-Zoom snap caps anyway.

Back