Laundry advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix54c

Uh, anyone know how to get gun powder/gun fouling out of clothing? :o

Edit: Seriously, I've tried all manner of degreasers and even rubbed D-Lead in the offending spot. The internets is yielding no recipes for removal of this particular stain. Next time, I'll go shooting in a shirt I like less. Until then, any wisdom on the topic is appreciated.

Last edited:
Try spraying with gun scrubber or something similar that is made to get such stuff gone.

Then wash and hope the smell gets washed out.:confused:

Just a SWAG. A few months ago I left a pen in my shirt pocket that leaked in the dryer. There were several large black spots on a dark green uniform shirt that would have cost me over $50 to replace. Plus pay for embroidery work.

I sprayed it liberally with some of my wife's hair spray. The hair spray dissolved the ink which I blotted up with an old rag. It took a lot of work, but virtually all of it came out. I then soaked it overnight in a concentrated detergent before washing it again.

Had it been a lighter color it would have probably been ruined. From the outside you can't see a thing. On the inside of the shirt is a very minor stain.

It won't hurt and is worth a try.

You might try putting some Dawn (yup, that brand) dishwashing detergent on the spot. Rub it in lightly and just enough that it saturates the fabric, and let it set for a while. After a couple hours or so, put it in the washer. Works good on lots of tough stains, maybe gun fouling, too. It shouldn't hurt the color, either.

Dry-cleaner.

That being said...
If it were mine, I'd probably pull out the acetone (depending upon material) if nothing else was working. If that produced no results, possibly some Simple Green.

Thanks guys. This probably isn't a typical forum post, so I appreciate it. I'll let you know if this gets it out (mostly for the next guy who comes along). :p

I second the recommendation to take it to a dry cleaner. Tell them what the stain is, and they should know how to treat it. You're not the first person this ever happened to.

Messing around with acetone and other solvents on your own isn't the best idea.

Shout works on all the stains that I have tried it on if you are willing to try.

Soak the stain, scrub it with a toothbrush on both sides, and let it sit over night. Apply again and wash.

If you are taking it to the cleaners, then do nothing.

Fired gunpowder? That would be carbon or burnt fabric. Hard to get out. Maybe Wisk or stain remover. If not, then a trip to the dry cleaner.
Unfired gunpowder? That would be graphite. Should just wash out.

k4swb said:
Try spraying with gun scrubber or something similar that is made to get such stuff gone.

Then wash and hope the smell gets washed out.

There were all good suggestions, but this is the one that worked. I guess it makes sense actually.

D-Lead and Orange Cleaner (for cleaning up motor oil) did nothing. Dawn and some other degreasers made an impact, but didn't get it quite gone. Saturating in gun scrubber and some enzyme-rich pre-treatment spray (I used Zout), a little light brushing with and old toothbrush, followed by a normal wash in warm water did the trick.

You guys are brilliant. Thanks for saving my shirt! XD

There were all good suggestions, but this is the one that worked. I guess it makes sense actually.

D-Lead and Orange Cleaner (for cleaning up motor oil) did nothing. Dawn and some other degreasers made an impact, but didn't get it quite gone. Saturating in gun scrubber and some enzyme-rich pre-treatment spray (I used Zout), a little light brushing with and old toothbrush, followed by a normal wash in warm water did the trick.

You guys are brilliant. Thanks for saving my shirt! XD

Finally!!! Someone listened to me, and it worked!!!:D

They replaced the top loaders with front loaders in my apartment complex's laundry room, but in years gone by I always let my laundry soak for 15-20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back