Latinisms

Rob Pincus

I have received a few emails asking about "Essayons". I am also curious about some of the other signatures that people are using and, as I told Rich, I am too lazy to translate them.

Also, there is usually more to them than a straight translation can explain. As such, I would invite everyone with a story to tell to please explain their signatures in this thread.

Here is the (long) explanation that I gave to Daren, who was the first to recognize it as the motto of the Army Engineers.

Capt. Alden Partridge chose "Essayons" as the motto of Norwich University when
he founded it. It tranlates directly as "Let us Try." Though, through the years, it is translated as "I Will Try" on
the school seal.

Capt. Alden Partridge was an Engineer and Officer in the Army, he founded the
first private military school in the country back in 1819 after being a professor at West Point. Partridge felt that The United States needed a solid corps of Citizen Soldiers, with college educations and military training.
Although Norwich University is historically known as a cavalry school, there is still a very strong engineering department, active in producing civilian and military leaders (most recently Gen. Gordon Sullivan, former Army chief of Staff) in the engineering and other fields. I have a degree in Political Science from Norwich and served in the Corps of Cadets before receiving my commission in the Army.
Just as "Essayons" is a great motto for the corps of engineers, Partridge felt that it was a great motto for the cadets at Norwich, specifically during freshman "training," I'll bet. Personally, I feel it is a great motto for those of us in the struggle to regain and retain our personal freedoms.

------------------
-Essayons

Mine "quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" is from Decimus Junius Juvenal (AD 60-130) a Roman satirist.

In his work Omnia Romae ("Predicting Rome") Juvenal was concerned with the direction Rome (the Empire and concept) was turning to...no longer a true Republic, only in name;the increasing division and separation of the 2 Romes (the citizenry and the Imperial gov't); the pacifying of the citizens with games and free things, the increasing regulations with accompanying loss of citizenship rights and freedoms, citizenry apathy numbed by the State provided excesses,etc. In this work he likens the Roman Republic to an over protected and indulged wife:

'Pone seram, cohibe. Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes? Cauta est et ab illis incipit uxor.'.....Bolt her in, keep her indoors. But who shall guard the Guards themselves? Your wife arranges accordingly and begins with them.

There are identical parallels to today, and Juvenal felt the same things (worries and emotions) about his Rome as we do about our USA.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

I guess it's Latin tonight.

"Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subvernuint"

As a principle of law in redressing a wrong, equity deemed it unjust that a complaint which laid dormant for an inordinate period be considered viable. Thus, the law aids those who are vigilant and not those who sleep upon their rights. Modernly, this is reflected in our Statute of Limitations.

"De haeretico comburendo"

Irreverant to TheFiringLine but appealing to my warped humor. "De haeretico comburendo" is an ancient writ of the secular courts directing the burning of an individual convicted of heresy, had abjured, or had relasped into heresy.

Aww, C'mon, who didn't enjoy The Holy Grail?

4v50

fiat justitia, "Let there be justice" shortened from Fiat Justitia, Ruat Coelum " Let there be justice, though the Heavens fall". these words are attributed to William Murray, First Earl of Mansfield, Lord Chief Justice of England 1786. I got it from the 21st Degree of Freemasonry! :)

------------------
fiat justitia

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited 12-12-98).]

"Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subvernuint" In a legal action, if you snooze, you lose.

"De Haretico Comburendo" is Latin for: "The Heretic Must Burn."

Gary

So, "De Haretico Comburendo" might be appropriately exclaimed when a gun-toter donates to the DNC ? ;)

------------------
-Essayons

Not a latinism, as I reported to Ed on another string, and certainly not indicative of any great education, but borrowed from the late science fiction author Robert Heinlein, who no doubt appropriated it from other sources, I feel it is indicative of the reality that, contrary to the claims of politicians and pundits, everything has a cost and we'll pay it eventually one way or another. A truly libertarian (small "l") point of view.

TANSTAAFL = "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

Jim in IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

[This message has been edited by JJB (edited 12-13-98).]

Robert Heinlein is a great author.
Starship Troopers, written by him is not just a great movie... but a good example of a political system that works. Civilians and CITIZENS are two different things...
I am glad to be a Citizen.

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
kodiac@hotbot.com

Fellow enthusiasts,

This is my favorite, but I have seen it translated at least two ways, how would you most correctly translate "Don't let the illegitimates wear you down" (You all know the more common expression in English).

Which of these is best or is there yet a another Latin translation.

"Ni elligemit carborundum esse" or

"Elligemitimi non carborundum sint"

I must confess to hiding Roy Dunlaps Gunsmithing Simplified in the cover for my Latin text 35 years ago. ;-)

yours in marksmanship
michael

------------------

Five days later I get back to the forum. Kodiac, Starship Troopers is a much better book than movie. The actions scences and special effects in the movie are great but they butchered the plot of the novel and made a cartoon of most of Heinlein's ideas.

Jim in IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

JJB
couldn't agree with you more. To me the most obvious example is in basic training. In the book I envision them on a large featureless plain, ala Siberian steppes or the southwestern US high desert country. The movie makes that area look like a converted grocery store parking lot.
I know I have the book around somewhere. I've only read it 3 or 4 times. If you want another excellent book get Time Wars ,created by Poul Anderson. It is a collection of short stories all with a pro-gun theme. Some of the authors include John D McDonald, Harry Harrison, Anne McCraffrey among others. A weapnon is not just used in these stories but it is the central element in each story.

"Miratio, Incursio, et Sestinato": the latin translation provided to us of our unit motto: "Surprise, Agrression and Speed".

I don't use it much, but I've always liked the term, "Deo vindice." Translated it means "God vindicates" or "God will vindicate." It was the motto of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War period.

Kelly

Ouch! Next thing you know, you all will be able to read and write prescriptions for the rest of us.

O.K., an easy one. "Sic semper tyrannis"

What does it mean, and who said it on what occasion?

Here's one that surfaced from the depths of my past: Semper Fellatio

You got it, Always Sucks

Sic semper tyrannis!

Reportedly spoken by John Wilkes Booth after shooting Abraham Lincoln.

I read it as "Death to all tyrants!"

The interesting part of this is that following Lincoln's assination the policies towards the south were much harsher. Lincoln had favored a rebuilding, healing approach to the south following the conclusion of the war. Those who plotted his death unwittingly removed one of those few who were inclined to treat the south with any consideration. At least that is my understanding of it.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 01-02-99).]

Back