Latex gloves and cleaning fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hologon

I'm cleaning my gun with Hoppes No. 9 stuff and lube, and I notice that when I use latex gloves, the lube doesn't seem to "stick onto" the metal anymore; instead, it's quickly turning a matte sheen.

Is it safe to use Hoppes No.9 solvent and lubricant with latex gloves?

I seem to remember something in my distant misspent youth about never combining latex condoms and contraceptives or lubricants... or something like that... Erm...

Thanks!

-Jon

[This message has been edited by hologon (edited September 28, 1999).]

Some oils and lubricants will break down latex. There are gloves that are a blue color that are made for handling low grade
hazardous material that will not break down. Don't hold me to this but I think the material is called Nyclad or something like that.
The problem might also be the fine powder that most gloves are coated with so that you can get you hands into them.

I've had good luck with disposable vinyl gloves when cleaning with Hoppes, CLP and Shooter's Choice. I've also had them dissolve on my hands using M.E.K. to degrease parts.
I now use heavy chemical resistant gloves when doing that. You can get the vinyl gloves in boxes of 100 pairs pretty cheap at refinishing supply stores (I bought mine at Woodworker's Supply).

CAUTION: CAUTION: CAUTION;

Get away from Hoppe's #9 solvent on blued
firearms; as I know of at least one incident
involving Hoppe's #9 that caused a brand new
Sig-Sauer P220A to oxidize; after the gun was
cleaned with this substance. Switch over to
"Break Free CLP" for the best result's.

------------------
Ala Dan

Ala Dan - I have been using Hoppe's #9 on my firearms since 1989. I have used it to clean a blued M70 .30-06, M1300 Defender 12ga, Python, MK IV Series 80 Government Model .45ACP, MK IV Series 80 PocketLite .380ACP, P220, P226, P228, P229, G19, G30, G32, P-89, Mini-14, HK 91, a Bright Stainless MK IV Series 70 Government Model .45ACP, and a few 1911A1's of various manufacture. Of all these weapons, in all of these years, I have never had a weapons' finish damaged by Hoppe's #9.
I have seen blued firearms finishes oxidized because of a lack of oil, and in one case a pistol rusted because the owner left it in a leather holster for four months. If Hoppe's #9 was a problem, I'm sure everyone would have spoken of it before now.

As to the Latex gloves, the blue ones are what I have used without trouble. I picked mine up at a medical supply store near my home. They are not powered.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Hoppe's #9 used to contain a warning about using it on nickel--don't know if it still applies as I haven't used it in some time.

Blades67; The incident that I spoke of happened at the Montgomery, AL police
academy, while a recruit was going thru
the training. It was Hoppe's #9; but he
may have use some type of brush on the
outer surface's of the firearm. When I
saw it, the 220 looked like brushed satin
nickel. He promptly sent the firearm off
for a hard coat two tone finish; similar
to Sig's factory two tone job's.

------------------
Ala Dan

I suggest you contact Hoppes directly
http://www.hoppes.com/ and ask them to verify any information. Hoppes #9 will discolor Nickle, but otherwise it will not harm any finishes. It will attack solder, so be careful using it on certain SXS shotguns or double guns with soldered barrels. E-mail Hoppes at the above website, they have responded to my questions in a very timely(next day) manner. If you are concerned about using chemicals, try Ballistol. The stuff is effective, yet safe enough that you can drink it, although they caution you not to.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net

The blue gloves are called Nitrile, many medical supply places and some chemical supply places have them, they are pretty cheap insurance if solvents bother your hands. Hope this helps.

Ala Dan - Being as it was a recruit, I think his pockets should have been checked for steel wool and/or denatured alcohol. ;) (I've seen FNG's use such to efficiently remove all traces of a weapons finish and then blame the CLP for making the weapon shiny!)

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

erm...

blades67?

am i to understand that the application of rubbing alcohol will strip the coating from my gun? or did i misunderstand you?

-jon

I have used Hoppes #9 since about 1955 and have never had it mar the finish on any blued gun. Don't have much experience with plated guns.
Kit in AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back