Latest CDC Study on Firearms Use says WHAT???!!

It is the old one, Gary, but it's worth bringing up for two reasons.

The first is to counter the constant claim that the CDC is somehow prohibited from doing gun research.

The second is that, even though it was motivated by anti-gun politics, it still came out in our favor.

Seems like I remember when this study was commissioned, as there was some discussion about the CDCs role in researching gun control subjects.

At any rate, I do believe it's relevant for both reasons stated by Tom Servo. Apparently the popularity of States passing "right to carry" and issuing CCH permits hasn't turned out to be the wild west shoot out scenario that many gun control advocates believed. I was really surprised that they found that a victim successfully used a gun in self defense at least as often as a criminal used a gun in the commission of (reported) violent crimes.

Always remember that there are anti-gun doctors who use their position to further their anti-gun positions !!!
Always be suspicious when seeing such material in a medical situation , such as a CDC report etc ! :mad:

as there was some discussion about the CDCs role in researching gun control subjects.
Here's the background. In 1989, the research head for gun studies at the CDC was Patrick O’Carroll. He wrote in a JAMA column, "we’re going to systematically build a case that owning firearms causes deaths. We will prove it.” And the agenda was set.

In 1993, Director Mark Rosenberg said he wanted, "a long term campaign, similar to tobacco use and auto safety, to convince Americans that guns are, first and foremost, a public health menace.”

In 1994, he said, “we need to revolutionize the way we look at guns, like what we did with cigarettes. It used to be that smoking was a glamour symbol — cool, sexy, macho. Now it is dirty, deadly — and banned.”

This was when the CDC published Arthur Kellerman's flawed (to put it charitably) study, Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home.

The agenda was obvious, and in 1996, Rep. Jay Dickey put an amendment into the year's omnibus spending bill reading, "none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be used to advocate or promote gun control."

It is not a ban on research. It is a ban on pushing an inappropriate agenda.

(I should add that scientists are supposed to follow the data, not shoehorn it into preordained conclusions.)

Tom Servo said:
It is not a ban on research. It is a ban on pushing an inappropriate agenda.

Short of being really sloppy with Emails, public comments, etc. that would be almost impossible to prove. The government can just do stuff like commission studies with people they know who will provide data that will lead to a certain conclusion.

Tom Servo said:
(I should add that scientists are supposed to follow the data, not shoehorn it into preordained conclusions.)

I completely agree. Unfortunately, too many "studies" and the like seem to be merely a certain viewpoint supported by misleading data.

Back