Latest acquisition... S&W 586

sir_n0thing

Last week I worked out a deal with a co-worker and found myself the proud owner of a 6" 586 no dash. I'll be trying to determine the birth date. There's actually a date stamped on the inside of the grip, January 1, 1984, but I don't know for fact if the grips are OG or not.
Serial number is ADN5xxx
She's in great condition, the bluing is almost perfect, with only some unfortunate tool marks around the crane release screw on the right side. The grips have wear, but are not cracked or damaged. Bore and cone are excellent, lockup is great, trigger is sweet, no flame cutting on the top strap.
She doesn't have the 'M' mark, so was never sent in for the recall. The previous 2 owners (both co-workers of mine) report no issues at all with magnum ammo over the years either person owned the gun.
I'm looking forward to a range trip!
fcd4211aab4e57d16eed46d14855a0e4.jpg

Very nice looking 586 (aren't they all?). Your ADN serial number prefix would place the gun in the late-1983 time frame, pretty much in the middle of the "no dash" production (the 586 was introduced in 1981 and was the first S&W model to wear the "3-alpha, 4-numeric" style serial number; the -1 came along in 1986). The 586 was discontinued at the end of 1999.

S&W will still correct the hammer nose/bushing problem at no cost, but if you plan on restricting the gun to range use there's no particular reason to send it in for the recall - except that it's possible they'll stop doing the fix free at some point. If you plan any CCW use, you really should send it in. The lockup problem was reportedly only occurring with a particular brand of hot 125 gr. ammo, and not always with that, but why take a chance? There are those that believe guns without the "M" stamp will have increased value at some point, but it hasn't happened yet and I doubt that it ever will.

I too recommend having S&W do the firing pin mod. Unlike the old three screw Blackhawks, it will not reduce the value of the gun and will only make it a more reliable firearm.

Absolutely no flame cutting on the top strap tells me this gun has not seen much of any amount of legitimate magnum loads. Could be why the original owners had no issues.

Yep, she's in really good condition, and was indeed mostly fed .38spl, with the occasional box of .357 mag.
Maybe i should have have said "no significant" cutting in the top strap! It does have some marking there, but it's a lot less than I've seen on some other revolvers over the years.
Either way, it's purely a range gun for me. I'm a scrawny little white boy, and have enough of a challenge with my Shield as my CCW of choice. I can't fathom trying to hide that 6" barreled hunk of steel on me.
I'll likely send it in for the recall update. I'm not banking on collectable value, I plan on shooting her!

Looks NIB condition from the picture. Should be a great Smith for you. Congratulations...and be sure to update the tread with your range results. Rod

Early ones were this grip configuration. I believe this is the square but profile and then S&W decided to go to a smaller round frame grip so more grip options could be fit to the L Frame. Nice buy!

Oooh crap... that's one of the ultra-dangerous ones since it doesn't come with the internal lock. I pray that you don't have any children in the house. You better register it too, that makes them a lot less dangerous I heard.

;)

Haven't made it to the range yet, but I did pick up a set of dies and a couple of pounds of powder and some 158gr LSWC. I got a bag of brass as part of the deal when I bought the Smith. Time to dust off the press! Hopefully by next weekend I can hit the range with a few boxes of both factory and home grown, 38s and 347s.

Back