Late 70's Remington 700

Guv

Anyone have a late 70's early 80's vintage Rem 700 that had bedding material from the factory? I got a 700 BDL from a friend a while back that has some translucent bedding material under the barrel receiver area and under the barrel about 4" from the end of the stock. It looks very much like the hard finish Remington applied back then and I don't think my buddy would have ever taken it in for this work. I'll see him tomorrow but was just a little curious today.
Thanks

I don't believe that they would have ever bedded something, but if a stock was ruined they may have used epoxy to fill up damaged or off spec areas.

Thanks mate, I found out my friends dad had indeed glass bedded it. He did a pretty darn good job, looks factory.

I bought two used Remington 700 BDL rifles in the mid 70s. Both were left-handed and both were .270 Win. Neither was glass-bedded when I bought them. I glass-bedded one with a free-floated barrel in a synthetic Brown Precision stock. Today it is still my favorite rifle. I have used it deer and pronghorn hunting many times. I wish I had used on it elk hunts and will definitely take it if I get another chance at elk hunting. I still regret selling the other rifle.

Last edited:
The 700 adl of that period was the ugliest premium weapon I have ever seen. I wouldn't let one date my daughter.

I have a mid-70's vintage M700 BDL in 270 win and it is not glass bedded or bedded at all. Shoots good enough for my needs. It is my go to deer rifle (when I use a rifle).

The 700 adl of that period was the ugliest premium weapon I have ever seen. I wouldn't let one date my daughter.

Always amazes me peoples different tastes in firearms. I still have the 700 ADL 30 06 I bought from 70's. I consider it a real classic. It has some of the deepest blue I've seen on a rifle.

I always thought the shiny finish on the stock was a little out of place on a hunting rifle. But is a nice piece of wood and looks as good as it did 40 + years ago.

Jut had it a the range yesterday and still shoots around 1" at 100 yards with off the shelf Hornady Whitetail.

Looking down the range at the stainless, stamped ,plastic,bead blasted wonder rifles of today, I would be proud if my daughter brought home on of these classic 700 ADL's from the 70's :D

My cousin had and still has a nice old 243 ADL. I always liked the ADL's, just a little less bling and a blind magazine with the same great action as a BDL. I really don't care for the less costly matte blue plastic stocked hunting rifles we have today, to each his own.

I always hated the impressed "checkering", but after they started machine-cut checkering, loved the rifles.

My son still has the late 70's 700BDL that I owned for about 30 years. It has a very unique stock color and grain. It's still beautiful and shoots groups under an inch with hunting ammo.

My new 700 CDL is just as pretty and, with a Stocky's "Ultra-Walnut" stock, a really great piece. I'm looking forward to getting a deer with it this year.

Back