Laser Sights - Pistol

desertstormvet

Just bought a Colt M45A1 and have a Sig P226 Mk25...both with picatinny rail. I'm thinking about buying a laser sight and installing on one of the two...haven't decided which one. Because both are supposedly used by the military (USMC and USN), I'd like to install something in use by one of the two branches. Is there a military-preferred system? In absence of any real information, I'm thinking about Surefire's X400 Ultra. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I stayed away from lasers, until I used them. I was fortunate enough to be one of the few who was invited to shoot the Crimson Trace Midnight match, which is no more. Crimson Trace provided a lot of products over the three matches, and I have tried a lot of the others. Cheap lasers break, good lasers improve hit efficiency and cut engagement time significantly. I was running 3 rounds bursts from a SAW and getting hits on man sized targets at 200m in no light...can't really do that with most systems. Up close, especially in low light, they allow offset shooting which provides better and faster target ID and engagement. The people who say lasers are bad and to avoid them typically have not used them at all, or have not used them properly. I have been fortunate to be able to use cutting edge military grade equipment in a variety of settings as well as see the vast array of options available, some of which are just junk. The Military uses IR lasers more than any other, some green and almost no red.

I have Crimson Trace Rail Masters (Standard and Pros) Laser Genetics, and the Burris AR DBAL systems, red. green and IR. There are lots of choices, and I would suggest making sure you know what your intended uses are going to be prior to buying something.

The Mark 23 system used it AFAIK.

I find lasers are good for giving away bad trigger habits. When I lend my pistol to a newb, you often see what exactly they are doing wrong when pulling the trigger.

For "tactical" operations at the range, whatever rocks your boat.

Yes the military has Dual Laser systems with Vis/IR. On that note, it depends on what your set up is.

DBAL, Crimson Trace, Surefire, Streamlight, all make great devices. What you need to decide is this. Do you need a light? What color laser (Green is not only easier for the human eye to pick up, its also more daytime friendly.) How many lumens is good enough for the light. Warranty on the device.

Here is a fun thing to do with a laser. Have a friend or RSO ghost load the weapon (behind you, so you don't know if it was actually loaded or not). Then with the laser on, sight in and fire. Watch to see how you follow through. If it was loaded, and how you reacted when it wasn't. Lasers are a great teaching tool to see if your pulling, or jerking. In the previous test, if the laser bumped you might have flinched, or pulled the trigger wrong. You can do other things with them too, like practicing hip fire by aiming, then using the laser to double check. You can also use them to practice aiming while moving, holding the laser on target. Both right and left handed.

You need to decide what features you need, and what you don't. What color laser you want, and what kind of backing you want from it. Most of the military stuff is going to be very expensive, so be very picky when looking at it.

I would also recommend a bench rest for sighting it in. I have been extremely pleased with this one http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hyskore-Parallax-Pistol-Sighting-Rest/741598.uts please note though. A lot of people use it wrong. You are not supposed to fire with it in the vice. The vice is simply to hold it while you adjust the sights. You fire it from the V notch as if it was a front bipod.

Back