Laser Sight Recommendations?

DougB

I'm intrigued by laser sights. I know that they have some drawbacks and may not be especially practical, but I'd like to try one. I've seen the Crimson Trace versions that are built into the grips. This seems like a pretty good solution. Also, it seems like I've seen some that replace the guide rod in some pistols - also a clever idea. I have an SW99 that has a rail under the slide for mounting stuff like this. I also have a couple of Makarovs and a couple of Kel-tec pistols (Pll and P40). I'd be interested in hearing about a decent laser sight that works well on any of these pistols. This will probably wind up just being a toy, so I don't want to spend a fortune...but if there were a REALLY nice design for one of these pistols, I might be willing to pay more. I also have some other handguns that I might consider putting a laser on, but these would be my first choices. Any recommendations?

Doug

I would go with either of the types you mentioned: guide rod replacement models or a Lasergrip. Why? Neither type has extraneous wires, rods, doohickiies, widgets or mounts, and if you decide that the sight is really lame, you can take it off and have performed zero permanent modifications to your gun.

I have an el cheapo model purchased for me as a gift by a well-meaning relative...it bolts on the trigger guard. As any sort of 'tactical' tool (or even a practical one) it is utterly worthless. However, it is great for trigger control exercises.

Just make sure that you follow Rule 1 of Laser Sights: The laser is NOT a replacement for your real sights.

Mike

I have a set of the Crimson Trace grips for one of my 1911's. The reason I got them is a guy was selling them cheap, and I've never owned a laser sight. It's a fun range toy, but I concur with the comment that it isn't a replacement for real sights. IMO, I wouldn't want a laser sight on a defensive gun, too many times it would slow your shooting, not speed it.

I beg to differ

It CAN decrease your shot speed IF you disobey Rule 1 of Laser Sights and use it as your primary method od aiming, in lieu of real sights. However, if you practice with both (actually, practice MORE with real sights), I can't really see that happening.

If you have time and the situation is appropriate, flick on the sight...if you don't have time just point-frontsight-squeeze, and take care of business. I see it as an option, and in general options are Good Things- so long as they are optional.

HOWEVER, I have no practical experience with using them in combat situations. I'll defer to anyone who has.

Mike

I've got a LaserMax (internal guide rod replacement) on my Glock 23, and I've been very happy with it. It was around 300 bucks, is not unbearably difficult to install (there's a video), and is fairly accurate. While I probably wouldn't use it in a gunfight, I'd think it'd be extremely intimidating if pointed at someone, and it's a blast at the range.

Back