Laser Bore Sighting - Worth It ???

samualt

I am looking to for a bore sighting tool mainly for my handguns but for my rifles also. I have seen these "Laser Bore Sights" out there for as low as $50.

Here is the ad:
"New... NC STAR Laser Bore Sighter Kit, Complete With Barrel Mounting Adapter. The Laser Boresighter easily allows the shooter to zero in laser sights or scopes effectively without actually firing the weapon. The laser can also be mounted on your firearm as A Laser Sight with the special mounting adaptor. With 5 different sizes of special designed arbors included, it can be used for most Firearms from air guns to .50 cal. "

Are these things worth a hoot? Are they any good at all as a bore sight? :confused:

It's a personal choice. My understanding is that most of the laser bore sights work just fine. Perhaps some folks here can give you better advice on this particular model.

I say it's a personal choice because I make do just fine with my eyeball and my neighbor's white mailbox about 100 yards down the street. Makes a fine focus for bore sighting. So far, I've always been on paper--even with my big .50 cal muzzleloader (inline).
I might change my mind if I shot a lot of semi-auto rifles that don't usually allow you to easily look down the bore.

I'm a little curious as to why you'd need to bore sight a handgun. Are you shooting them long distances?

I just used a laser boresight, but could only get on paper at 50 yards. It wouldn't be much more effort to eyeball and start at a closer distance.

Guyon:
I have a Glock-17 that I'm trying to prove has the worst factory sight installation ever! I can barely hit the paper at 15 yards, LOL. Plus, I'm thinking about changing some sights on several guns to adjustable night sights. It would be nice to have a way to zero-them in. I also have two rifles which have never been sighted-in (Ruger 10/22, SKS). And, it just sounded like a keen thing to have. :p

Gary H:
Sorry to hear that! I was hoping most of them were a little more accurate. Especially cause I already bid on one! Perhaps mine will at least be good for handguns if not rifles.

A bore sight will help you get on paper so that you can get your rifle zeroed.

This is especially important when an errant shot could cause some downrange problem. It is amazing how far off a newly mounted scope can be.

If you have a bolt action rifle, you can usually remove the bolt, peer down the barrel, then look thru the scope and get on paper pretty easily.

An automatic rifle ususally can not be sighted this way.

If you are going to do a lot of scope swapping, buying a bore sight may be a good idea. If not then getting one sighted is usually under $30 at your local firing range.

Back