Las Vegas

byerly

I'm taking a little vacation to Vegas next week and wanted to know where to go to shoot when I'm not at the blackjack tables. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, byerly.

That's Front Sight. www.frontsight.com - The Nevada facility isn't open yet. Should be open in October/November. I think it will be open just for classes for the first 6 months, but I don't know for sure.

The SHOW BOAT has the best crab legs on in town... and the Mustang Ranch has the best, ah...

Ah, nevermind...

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

There is a gun range on Tropicana Blvd.( the name escapes me) that rent machine guns. It is a indoor range and seems to have reasonable rental rates. I showed up right before they closed so I didn't get to shoot but I will next time.

------------------
The Night Guy at:
Cheaper Than Dirt Inc.
www.cheaperthandirt.com

Yep... Mustang is about 20 miles east of Reno off I-80. I grew up bout 90 miles northwest of Reno and lived there for about 10 years. While working in Reno for a building supply outfit, we supplied all the materials for Uncle Joe's (Joe Conforty (sp))new home he built. Last I heard, after he went to jail for tax evasion (IRS claimed that the girls were employee's, Joe said they were independant contractors), his wife took over the ranch and started a flip side for the ladies.

Have to share this story with everyone... My cousin came up one year to go deer hunting. Since he was only 16 at the time, he promised his mom that he would call her every evening and not leave the hunting area. Well him and my older brother got their deer by 7:30 opening morning and deceided to head over to Reno. Once there, one thing lead to another and they ended up at Mustang. While my cousin was waiting for my brother in the parking lot, he deceided to call his mom from the pay phone. He got done with the call about the same time my brother came out. The phone rang and my brother picked it up. It was the operator asking them to deposit another 50 cents. Since he did not have the money, he told them to reverse the charges.

Well everything went fine for about a month. No one being the wiser as to where they had been, until my aunt got the phone bill, with a 50 cent charge from Mustange Ranch NV.

Both of them had a hard time trying to explain that one away... lol. And no one ever believed the story they came up with either.

Richard

Alas, you must RUN to ever visit Mustang Ranch again. The "owner" was busted by Nevada and the Mustang will be closed at the end of August 1999, unless someone steps up to the plate with 250K (for starters) to take over ownership.

A piece of Nevada's Colorful history about to die...

Any one have some spare change??? I will be hiring quality controll inspectors... (Evil Grin!)

Does anybody else remember when the Mustang was under Title 11 and the Fed Govt. temporarily ran the place? Uncle Sam became a part time pimp. During that time, were the workers civil servants?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

In 1994 , I was in Reno for business so I decided to look up the Mustang Ranch. I couldn't find it but found "The New Sagebrush" Ranch , between Carson City and Reno. Still have the menu for souvenir. It was an experience.

Yes, I was living in Reno at the time the Feds took over control of Mustang. As I said in my earlier post, it was over payroll taxes. Joe Conforty claimed that the girls were independent contractors who were responsible for their own taxes. The IRS claimed they were employees subject to withholding taxes... ie Social Security, unemployement etc. Joe fought the good fight in court for quite a few years. Everyone I knew was behind him in this effort. Alas, the courts eventually ruled against him. Being the old fashioned guy he was, he refused to pay, claiming that the Government was corrupt. As a result the IRS took over operation of the ranch to get their money.

Joe was eventually put in prison over his refusal to pay.

As was explained to me, Joe set up Mustang with the thought of giving the girls a safe place to work (vs out on the streets), where they would be medically checked on a regular basis. Guess making money was not his main motive? I never did believe that one.

I do remember the fight back in the 70's over closing it down. My understanding was it was legal at the time, but the doo-gooders wanted to make it illegal. In a post it was stated that it became legal in the 70's. I don't believe this to be true.

I still remember talking to a 50 year old mother at the time of the vote. She was for keeping it open... reason.. well her sons were going to use hookers anyway... she at least wanted to make sure that they were clean and not someone from off the streets.

How did I vote? Well even though I never went to Mustang (I'm to cheep), I did see that it was a freedom of choice and voted to keep it open.

The problem with the IRS was my first indication that something was wrong with our county. The injustice of what the IRS did to the Owners of Mustang was incredible. Since then, due to my profession, I have been priviledged to be witness to many more such abuses of power. Other than the 2nd amendment issue, taxes are my #1 priority.

All abuses and problems we have with the Government today arrise as a result of the tax system. They have so much power now, as a result of the taxing of personal incomes. If we really want to rein-in the Federal Government, repealing the 16th Amendment is imparitive.

With the average person now paying 56% of their wages in taxes and our legislatures crying for more, I truely believe that this is the reason they are attacking the 2nd amendment. With all of the taxpayers groups being started as a result of the high taxes, they realize that they can not raise them much more without a revolt. They know that if there is a revolt, they would not have a chance agaist an armed citizenry. Thus, they must disarm the citizens. Think I'm full of it? Well maybe, but that is my personal opinion.

Thanks,

Richard

Back