large shank v. small shank Savage 110 ?

bamaranger

I see where a vendor is offering aftermarket Savage 110 barrels, in "large" and "small" shank. What's the difference and how can you tell what action your dealing with for a build.

What cartridge is your rifle chambered in? It's my understanding that standard short and long action's are small shank. Large shank would be magnum, wsm, ultra mag chamberings.

I looked into this a little and found this at http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ in the tech updates section, hope this helps you:
In 2002 Savage offered rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers it is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader.
However, there were a few WSM and RUM rifles made on the standard barrel shank in the first production run. The best way to tell is to measure the barrel shank right against the nut. The larger barrel shank will have a step down approximately 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut. If your rifle has a serial number with a "G" prefix, it is most probable it will have the larger shank.

just barrel, so far

The barrels are being sold by Midway, and are in the latest sale catalog, all chambered in .308. (large and small) I have the desire to build a "light" .308 rifle (I hesitate to use the word tactical), and am searching for a Savage junker for the action only. Then I will buy the barrel. But I had never heard of large and small shanks.. only long and short actions, which is another kettle of fish.

...am searching for a Savage junker for the action only...
Here's a tip that will save you money: look for a used Stevens 200 short action. Since the street price on those is around $300 new, you can pick up used ones for around $200. I got mine for under $200. You won't get the Accu-trigger, but the trigger on the Stevens can be converted to a sweet, adjustable 3-screw trigger if you have any mechanical skill and a drill press.

Back