Large Bore Snubbies

Bulldog44

Does anyone have any knowledge of and/or experience with the Taurus large bore snubbies (.44 Special and the .41 Magnum)? I've been checking into buying a semiautomatic to go along with my revolvers, but I would like to check into one of these as well. Any advice?

Ive played with them, read about them (its all true, you know!)
and shot the 415 - 41 mag. Its a pretty big snubbie...which is good..it still hurt after a while of shooting. I shot the stainless, not the titanium....I would love a Ti 415. Its a great gun..just
a little big for my to carry and conceal. I will get a light and small .357 for that....good luck

Shoot well

INTERESTING CONCEPT

But feedback from one of my customers suggests to me that the 41 Mag version is WAY TOO MUCH.

In my thinking, a correct snub is a Charter Arms Undercover or a S&W M38 (best).

Your results may vary.

I currently own a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special and I like it rather well. However, I tend to like heavier guns and I've heard that the Taurus .44 is just that.

I don't do Taurus handguns but, I have had several S&W large bore 3 inch revolvers.

I have had a 3 inch 44 Magnum and a 3 inch 41 Magnum.

If you can "stand" the velocity loss, they shoot very accurately. They can hurt your hand without rubber grips. I use my 41 for CCW and love it.

On one chrono test of the 415 Ti 41 MAG with Pro Load 210 gr JHP's. The velocity was 1207 fps and equates out to 679 FPE.
Pretty d*mn impressive for a snubbie....it may be the KING!

Just for reference...Shoot well

I bought a Taurus 445 when they were fresh off the drawing board. Nice of me to invest in Taurus' R&D,cause that's just what I did. The firing pin spring broke twice, they fixed it both times, but never let on WHY such a thing happened.......I finally gave up the gun; couldn't trust it. Too bad, it would've been a nice gun, about the same size as a K frame ( maybe a little smaller ) and very controllable. I might have just got a lemon, who knows?

Mike

I bought one of the first Taurus 44spc wheelguns and had the same firing pin spring problem. Dumped it as fast as I could.

I have read an internet article on the newest 44 bulldog. Looks very interesting to me. Bulldog44, is your gun one of the old models or the new single billet, pinned barrel of the Charter 2000 company? How do you like it? How is the DA trigger pull?

I purchased mine NIB in March 2001. It's a nice gun, has plenty of punch, and is at least fairly accurate. The double action is rather smooth, and I always detect that slight hesitation that lets me know that it's about to go *BOOM*. However, I was advised by the company and a few other folks to go with the lighter, slower ammo in this gun. I've managed to stick with 180 gr. bullets rated at around 782 fps. I think it's a rather nice gun for concealed carry and it was well worth the price.

Is there anybody who wouldn't entertain the notion of buying a Charter Arms 41 Special? Or a medium frame revolver that could handle 41 Spec/Mags? And wouldn't a companion lever(dare I wish for a pump) capable of spec/mag/max(aka 414 Wesson) be nice? What is the market waiting for?

Tom

I actually would like a ruger built on the GP frame, five shot 44mag/spc with 3 inch barrel, round butt, with ashley express sights.

Bulldog,

I like the 240 gr SWC in the 44, lots of size, the hollow point at best expands only 60-70% of time when able to get optimal velocity. Going slow out of 2.5in barrel will probably not expand at all. The 240 will penetrate better has better frontal area and will give greater permanent wound channell. Go to Firearms Tactical Institute for some interesting information by Fackler.

Back