LAR Grizzly 45 Win Mag

GI Joe

I've been on a big-bore kick lately (10 mm, 454 Casull, 50AE) and saw one of these used for $700. I am not familiar with LAR Grizzly. Are they a good company? How does the 45 Win Mag rank with the rounds mentioned above? And what sort of recoil should I expect from this? Thanks.

The company who made these has dropped handgun production so spare parts or extra magazines are out of the question. The pistol functions ok. The price you mentioned is about right. Interesting gun.

Great cartridge!

I saw one at the range once being shot. That is a GREAT cartridge... I wish it were available in more guns. $700.00 seems high though for ANY gun though IMHO.

Ben

I remember looking at those. They were very expensive new too I think usually in the 700 and up range. they are VERY LARGE 1911's The grip diameter is huge because of the length of the 45 win mag case. I've never shot one but they always looked well made. They were the only automatic for big bears untill the 10mm and Dessert eagles came out, and who wants to lug a 4 lb DE around?

shiro

The one REAL advantage of the Grizzly, I think, is that it is not gas operated. Thus you can shoot cast bullets in it. In fact this is the only 45 Win. Mag. that can do that.

I won one on a gun raffle...it cost me 5 bucks.

It does have a big grip, but Ive got big hands so it was not a problem. The ballistics are about par with a .44 magnum . The thing was LOUD though.It was stainless steel and had 3 mags with it. At 100 yards I could whack a 9" steel gong every time. It was fun to shoot but the ammo was 28 dollors a box.

The look of it did mot much appeal to me as I though that the grip looked out of proportion to the rest of the gun.Other than being ugly , it was a decent piece, I eventually sold it for 550$.

Power wise a 45 Win mag is basically the same as a 44 mag, but the recoil when fired from the LAR is very mild [compared to a 44 mag that is] because the slide/action soaks up and delays a lot of the recoil.

If you have normal sized hands the LAR is a bit clumsy to operate because of the size for some operations. The cycle rate seems very slow with the LAR I think one could easily fire 2 shots from a 44 revolver or 45 acp pistol for every one from the LAR...you have to wait forever for the gun to cycle.

Back