Lapua 30-30 W ammo

baiwan

Inactive
I fired four Lapua Hollow point rounds with my Winchester Mod 94 Trapper and noticed that the cartridge cases come out with cracks at the cone shaped area.
Each case with several cracks.
What could be the trouble? Is it dangerous, The gun is relatively new - I've shot less than 800 rounds, factory made. Only Lapua cases crack.

It is probably poor quality ammunition. I would be afraid to keep firing them. Switch to another brand if you can

Old ammo

I think I found out what's wrong.
I have a lot of old ammo and opened some cartridges to see their condition to find the powder has changed - particles stick together and it can't be poured out of the cartridge case. I don't think this ammo could be used.
I have two kinds of Federals the same age - Classic and Premium. The Premium are Ok.
The Classic don't group, shots are spread in and out of target.
I don't think anyone experienced keeping ammo for over 15 years.
What would you advise me?

baiwan said:
I don't think anyone experienced keeping ammo for over 15 years.

Fifteen years is well inside the shelf life of most common centerfire ammunition. I recently fired some .223 that I loaded in the magazine in 1980. It shot and cycled just fine. The age of the ammunition isn't the problem, although the storage of that ammo may have contributed to an early demise.

Try some fresh, new factory ammo and see how it works.

Back