LAPD SWAT holster

Kiwi

I just wonder if anyone knows who makes the LEATHER holsters for LAPD SWAT's 1911 with Sure-Fire 3v flashlight. (I believe they now use the Safriland holsters)
Thanks

Kiwi

You are correct.

Safariland.

Best duty holsters on the planet.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Kodiac:

Thanks for your reply, but I would like to know the LEATHER holster LAPD SWAT used to use before they changed to Safriland.

Thanks!

Kiwi

Safariland as well...

They still uses real LEATHER...

And LAPD SWAT STILL uses Safariland.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

The leather holsters that D-platton (LAPD SWAT) used to use were custom made by Ted Blocker. They have since gone to Safariland's 6004 rig. You are correct in that they use 3v with their 1911's/Safariland rig now. When they used the Ted Blockers, I believe they still had the 6v hanging off their 1911's
-Rod

Thanks Rodmann! That's exactly what I wanted to know, I just talked to them on the phone but they said they don't make it anymore. It was a special order for the LAPD SWAT, they only made a whole lot for them and that was it.

Kiwi

Are we discussing their tactical thigh holster or the one they use when working the street as Metro ??? Al Preciado mentioned that they had a plain clothes holster that would automatically apply the thumb safety if they forgot.. I had forgotten all about that rig .. was that the Ted Blocker holster and is Safriland making it now .. what's the model number ??
Thanks

TLH:

We are actually discussing their tactical thigh holster. Ted Blocker made some leather thigh holster for the LAPD SWAT before, but I think about a year or two ago they switch it to Safariland's model: 6004 Special Operations Holster, it has a unique rotating hood lock instead of a traditional thumb break, it's really hard to explain what it is, you just have to see it. I got one for my Sig P226 with Sure-Fire 6V flashlight on it, the holster just fit perfectly, I can lock it and unlock it with a single thumb in split second, the holster just gives you a positive fit and feel if you know what I'm saying.
Anyway, do you actually know Al Preciado? I wouldn't mind getting an autograph from him! :)

Kiwi

I see, I thought they used Eagle .. I've had two schools where Al and Ron McCarthy were instructing.. '90 or '91 in KY and '93 in VA.
Back then they were using Eagle, I remember the topic coming up as Eagle has that front pouch for a mag and Al mentioning that he wouldn't let the guys carry mags there. (They will never go to them under stress.) I remember so well because when I came back I got my guys Eagle and we're still using them.
I also told the guys no mags in the front pouch, they CAN carry SureFire 6V's lights there if the want.
I've seen the Safriland in '93, some were shipped air to the school so a student could show them off.
I bought the 6V for my issue P220 before I talked with Pat Martin (Then armour for the LAPD SWAT) and McCarthy & Presciado. They were using 3V at that time because they advised that the didn't need more for handgun work and the 3V came to about the end of the muzzle on thier 1911's. I seldom use the 6V with it's Eagle holster because I found the were right. That long light & extended holster are a pain in the butt.
Al Presciado & Ron McCarthy are two CLASS acts. Both gentlemen and extremely knowledgable. Had dinner with them once, with some other guys, was a highlight of the week.

TLH:

Man, what can I say, having dinner with Mr. Presciado would be a highlight of my life!!! Meeting gentermen like that means a whole lot more to me than meeting Sylvester Stallone or Arnold Schwarzenegger. These guys simply earned their names, not like celebrities.
I actually don't know much about Ron McCarthy and Pat Martin, and is Mr. Al Presciado still Sgt. now?

Kiwi 1*

I think he has retired, I believe I read that somewhere. He was doing some consulting prior to his retirement I think. Don't know if he still is. He was also instructing for IACP. That's where I met him. I can't remember if I saw his name listed in their instructors this year or not. It's worth the trip to attend anything he or McCarthy are teaching.

FYI, Al is now retired from LAPD and is still instructing for IACP. Went to two of his classes in the last year. An interesting fellow to say the least....

Back