laminated stocks for a 700 varmint rig

Poodleshooter

Has anybody tried one of Stocky's new Hart laminated stocks with the aluminum "accublock" yet?
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-537/*NEW!*-Bobby-Hart-AccuBlock/Detail
I'm still mulling options for restocking a 700 varmint rifle,and that stock caught my eye. I've mostly been looking at the usual sub $400 stock suspects( HS Precision and B&C), but I wonder if this would be a good option for a long range rig? Has anyone tried one of these laminates in any iteration?

Haven't used one, but have used several laminated stocks over the years. The aluminum bedding block shown should be skim bedded for max accuracy, but that is an easy job. The "v block" design works ok, but bedding compound will give a much more repeatable bedding surface.

Jimro

I put a Stocky's Thumbhole Laminate on my Reminton 700 Light Varmint Stainless Fluted in 221 Fireball. The synthetic stock was way too flexible and I couldn't hold a consistent point of impact. I like Stocky's product a lot and would recommed it to anyone. I bought the VIP model that comes 99% inletted and finished. Getting it to fit my metal took about 2 hours. It was the first one I had ever replaced and I just took my time. It's been on the gun for 3 years now, no problems. Mine does not have the aluminum block but don't see a need for it with my gun. Maybe if I had a hard kicker I would consider the aluminum but for small caliber stuff it is not needed.

Mostly I'm curious if these laminates (with or without the aluminum V block) are stiffer than an aluminum bedded synthetic, such as the B&C Medalist line or an HS Precision.

Or is lower resistance to humidity a bigger factor in why we see more synthetics than laminates in long range rifles?

Flashhole, I'm guessing the stock you replaced was the factory pillar bedded lightweight B&C Medalist, rather than the fully aluminum bedded model,right?

wow he finally got them in. I spoke with the guy from Stocky's last spring and he said they were on their way in. glad I didn't hold my breath..

they look interesting, but I would rather get an HS precision or B&C for that price.

If his price were under $200 i would say go for it.

and the laminate would not hold up well to humidity (like a fiberglass one would). They used laminate stocked M40's in vietnam instead of wood, but they still had to swap out stocks every few months, because the laminate was still warping due to the moisture. so if you shoot in humid climates you might not want a laminate stock.

if you do get this stock give us a range report.

Flashhole, I'm guessing the stock you replaced was the factory pillar bedded lightweight B&C Medalist, rather than the fully aluminum bedded model,right?

That is correct. It was flimsy. This is what it looks like today.

1stWhistlePig08_6.jpg

nice looking gun.

I am looking at putting the same stock on a Remmy 700 VTR (the triangle shaped heavy barrel) in 308 and use it as a varmint and long range deer gun.

how did the cheek/comb piece line up with the action, did you need to go to taller rings for proper eye placement with the scope and such a high check weld? (i had a remmy 700 in a B&C thumbhole stock and had to go from mid to high rings inorder for the alignment to be right since i ended up actually looking almost over my scope with the high cheek on the thumbhole.

Nice laminate thumbhole!

Yeah, the price on that Stocky's laminate is a bit of a bummer. The unbedded version runs about on par with a nice B&C Medalist aluminum bedded A2 stock,one of my other options. The bedded version is $100 more than the price of the B&C Medalists,and close to the price of an HS Precision.
I don't think I can justify that. Shame though...they're pretty stocks,and it's a lot nicer holding onto a wood stock when it's a freezing cold hunting trip.

UFrost - Stocky's did a good job on the ergonomics on this stock design. Everything is "natural" and alignment is good. I gauged my rings to the scope, it has a 50mm lens and I have less than 2mm clearance between the scope housing and the barrel. The cheek rest on the stock has a nice slope that allows cheek placement that is friendly to your scope position.

I should add the laminate stock is heavy. It shifted the center of balance back toward the butt stock but that was not a bad thing with my gun. The gun was noticibly front heavy with the synthetic stock. It's nice to have a balanced gun but if it is out of balance I don't want it to be front heavy.

Back