Laminated M1 Garand stocks?

tank1949

Laminated stocks? Anyone who has ever owned an M1 knows that moisture is not their stock's best friend. I have decided to replace my original M1 Garand walnut stock with a laminated "pepper" version. I realize that laminated stocks cannot be used in certain matches, but I am more interested in consistent groupings and not have to worry about rainy days here in Florida. I assume all laminated stocks are composed of hardwoods and epoxy resins, which should be far superior in maintaining bedding and the adverse affects of moisture vs. walnut stocks. Dupage Trading is advertising laminated "winter" (their "pepper") M1 Stocks, but they are not real clear on the glues used or if they are new and oversized or at least the same size as GI issued. Back in the day, the std Gi stock could also be used as a club, due to its size and weight. I want stiffness and moisture resistance. Are all the glues used in laminated stocks epoxy? I assume that they are but I could be incorrect.

Having worn out 5 match grade barrels in three 7.62 NATO Garands in all weather combinations, never once had a significant change in zeros. Stocks were not perfectly sealed but the receiver and hand guards were epoxy bedded. These rifles had solid Birch or Walnut stocks. I've known people with similar laminated stocks on theirs without any weather issues.

A standard Garand with standard parts fit shouldn't change zeros with weather. Their parts fit is not as perfect as a match grade version so they're less susceptible to such changes.

It's normal to have a half MOA change in zero from day to day. We don't shoulder and/or sling up Garands in a given position exactly the same from day to day as well as time to time in the same day. Atmospheric conditions are always changing, too.

The best way to maintain M1 constant bedding pressure is to unlock the trigger guard over night and when it's stored. That relieves the stock compression in the receiver area. If the receiver isn't epoxy bedded, lock the trigger guard while placing the muzzle against a hard place as you push the stock against it. That pushes the receiver back hard against the stock to start with. I'd doesn't need to be shot a few times to seat it fully in the stock.

Last edited:
I assume laminating is all epoxy? And, laminated stocks never are affected by mosture unlike possibably walnut or birch?

All wood, sealed or not, will change dimensionally with temperature and humidity. Stocks with contact the stock from the back of the receiver to some point forward on the barreled action will have the most effect on point of impact changes; Full length Mannlicher stocks all the way to the muzzle are notorious for bending and changing zeros. Stocks only touching the receiver area have the least change.

The greatest movement is right angles to the grain. Very little movement happens parallel to the length of the grain. I think laminated stocks will change the least if the age rings in each layer is right angles to the adjacent ones.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/wood_movement.php

What matches don't allow laminated stocks on Garands?

"...laminating is all epoxy?..." Layers of wood glued together under pressure. May or may not be epoxy. Not always layer s of assorted hard woods either. Laminates tend to be heavy too, if that matters.
"...could also be used as a club..." Breaks 'em at the grip.

BartB said:
What matches don't allow laminated stocks on Garands?

CMP J.C. Garand [as-issued] for one. Which as luck would have it, has become one of the most popular matches for shooting an M-1, since they're outclassed by race-gun AR-15s in the Service Rifle category and of course, can't begin to compete in the Match Rifle class against custom jobs.

I do wish the CMP would allow laminated handguards in the JCG matches, since those aren't going to have any positive accuracy benefits vs. regular whole-wood hg's, but are less prone to splitting or other damage. [And I got a deal on laminated nutmeg rear hg's when Boyds was closing some out a couple years back... ;) ]

Tank1949 said:
I assume laminating is all epoxy? And, laminated stocks never are affected by mosture unlike possibably walnut or birch?

Virtually all laminated stocks from US sources get their laminate blanks from one source: Rutland Plywood. Rutland had a big fire about a year? ago, so I don't know if it still holds true, but basically, up to a year ago, if it's a Boyd's laminated stock, it's made w/ Rutland plywood and it's an epoxy-based layup.

Back