Ladysmith .38

henrycc

Inactive
Just helped a friend choose a used S&W Ladysmith in .38 as her first gun. On the frame the gun says it is a 642-1, however the barrel is stamped .38 spl. I have a S&W Airweight 642-1 but the barrel is stamped .38 +p. I am wondering if the Ladysmith is rated to +p or not. Any help or thoughts on why the barrel isn't labeled +p, also the S&W website says that the Ladysmith is rated to +p. Thanks

If it doesn't say "+P" on the barrel it probably isn't. The Ladysmith has been produced by S&W going back to 1902. If it isn't rated +P don't try it. My thoughts.

My sources indicate the Model 642 Ladysmith is rated for the .38 +P. It is basically a variation of the Model 642 Centennial Airweight. Nonetheless, I would avoid much use of +P, in part because the recoil is wicked, especially for a beginner.

Ned, the .22 Ladysmith that S&W made starting in 1902 is a totally different gun than the modern .38 Ladysmith. The old gun was a little jewel, 7 shot, in .22 Long. They were made in three variations and last made about 1921. There were only about 26,000 made and they are very desireable collectors' items.

Jim

Shot placement takes precedent over bullet weight, size, type, caliber, velocity, energy. Don't worry about whether you carry +p or not but where you put those bullets.

If it's not marked +P, that likely means that it was made prior to the time a few years ago when all of S&W's J-frames became rated for use with +P ammo.

It will still handle +P, it just won't handle it as well for as long as the guns so marked will.

S&W's usually have a suffix attached to the model number (eg, 686-4). To see the suffix, you need to swing out the cylinder and look at the frame.

Now look at the manual. (If it didn't come with one, fill out this web form:
http://data.smith-wesson.com/misc/request.cfm
and they'll send you one for free). In the manual is a matrix, which shows what kind of ammo you can fire in that revision of that model of gun.

As others have pointed out, the earlier versions of many models of S&W weren't rated to fire +P. BTW, unless your friend is a veteran shooter, it's probably best to start them off with the mildest ammo possible. Especially if it's a woman that you had to spend months with before she would even agree to buy a gun.

Thanks for everyone's help and thoughts on the revolver. My friend is a small framed female who just graduated the police academy. Her department authorizes the J-frame Smiths but require the ammo to be +p for off duty or backup carry. I've already avised her to use regular .38 spl for practice ammo and it still is painful to shoot with a high grip over the wood grips. I'm looking for a pair of Hogue or Pachymar grips that fit over the grip but can't find any grips that have a square butt, I can only find the round butt grips. Her J-frame is a 642-1 and has a square butt. Any more help would be appreciated.

Since she is a police officer and concealment is not of critical importance, may I recommend the steel Model 36 with a three inch heavy barrel. This gun, with Hogue or similar grips is easy to use with standard .38 and at least controllable with .38+P. I don't know if S&W still makes the model that way, but they are around at gun shows and I sometimes see one in a store, or in Gun List or Shotgun News. Even better would be one of the shrouded hammer revolvers if she can learn to shoot DA.

Jim

Square butt J-frame grips are a beast to find.

I had to order mine directly from Hogue. Virtually none of the shops carried them.

Are you SURE the 642 Ladysmith is a square butt? I didn't think it was, but I'm not 100% certain about it.

Sorry but I don't think I was clear enough. The revolver will be used as a concealed backup gun in her back pocket or front pocket. If she tries to wear a B.U.G. vest pocket or a holster in the side of her vest she looks like she has a large tumor growing in her chest. And the revolver definately has a square butt, I also have a 642-1 airweight with the exact same butt. The serial number of the gun is actually etched on the butt. I'll look into ordering directly from Hogue on the grips. Thanks alot.

Back