Lady Smith .357

AR-10

I bought a slightly used Lady Smith a couple weeks ago. It's a five shot .357 snubby with a satin stainless finish and laminated wood finger grips with an exposed backstrap. It didn't come with a box or manual.

This purchase was made in keeping with the boycott. The shop owner has no desire to order new Smiths and was happy to see this one go. I was happy to help him out, so, we're both pleased!

Is this an M60LS? The crane is marked 600, and under the serial number it is marked 60-9. The correct model number is what I seek. Also, what is the frame designation? Any information is much appreciated.

Ok, it should be marked on the gun itself with the words Lady Smith.

But, from what you describe, yes it may be an LS.

The 60-9 was introduced sometime after 1994.

What kind of hammer does it have? One with the firing pin on it, or one with a flat-nosed hammer with the firing pin in the frame?

Mike

It is indeed marked Lady Smith on the side. My wife gave me quite the time about that. Then SHE filled out the paperwork. She said something about the last four or five being in my name,and fair is fair.I think after she shoots it, I'll be lucky to see it again.:)

It has the firing pin in the frame,and a transfer bar(?) that lifts the hammer away from the firing pin when the trigger is in the forward position.

I don't know diddly about Smith models or frame sizes. I figured the 60-9 had something to do with designating the model, but I'd like to get it right down to what was marked on the box from the factory in regard to model number. Partly for insurance purposes, partly to satisfy my own curiosity.

Thanks.

Well, you pretty much know what it is.

It's a Model 60, sub-model (I think I'm one of the only peopole who uses that term) LadySmith or LS, 9th engineering change.

The -numeral signifies a change in the manufacturing or engineering process of the gun.

In this model's case, it signifies that the firing pin was moved from the hammer nose to the frame.

L&L,

As far as I know, the transition has been completed with all models, except possibly those coming out of the performance center.

The M60 is a J-frame. The J has a capacity of 5 shots of .38 or .357, or six shots .22LR.

The next step up is the K-frame, which is a six shot 22, 32, 32-20, 38, 357. It can also be a 10-shot .22 in the M617.

Then there is the L-frame, which is a six and seven shot 357, and I think a couple other calibers, it changes so often I can't keep up.

Then there is the N-frame, six or eight shot 357, six shot 10mm, six shot .45 ACP or LC, six shot 41 and 44.

:) -Kframe

Mike and Kframe,

Thanks for the information. I like to know as much as I can about my firearms. You guys were very helpful.

Back