Ladies Shotgun Choices, New Territory

Roamin_Wade

I’m trying to find my daughter a decent shotgun and so I’m trying to “google” ladies shotguns and I’m not finding very much. So far I’ve only found the Mossberg pump and a Winchester pump “muddy girl” camo shotguns. Are all pink shotguns referred to as Muddy Girl shotguns or is that a particular brand? Also, what do I need to type in my search for nothing but pink shotguns because “ladies” or “women’s” or “girls” coupled with “shotgun” isn’t bearing much fruit? Anyone know how to look for these guns a better way? I’d like to find all 20 or 12ga, semi or pump, for girls, women or ladies shotguns either new or used.

Thanks folks!
Roman

What's your budget? Caesar Guerini makes an over-under line for women called Syren, but they cost a lot more than any Mossberg.

Try looking for "youth" models and IMO, a semi will have less felt recoil (assuming the fit is real close)

Her first shotgun? Well For my ex, I took an AyA SxS in 28ga and cut the stock down for her. Then she discovered my son's Mossberg 500 20ga I'd cut the stock down on and cut the barrel back on. That was the gun she used. I had the butt put back on the AyA but doesn't look that good so when I finally get my new 28 this year, the AyA goes off for a new butt stock! Gonna cost me $650! I think the lesson I got is get an inexpensive gun of no more than 20ga and cut it down to fit her. Use target loads to start. I was loading 20ga in those days and loaded her target loads but adjusted the shot size to fit the bird! Then if she get's into it you can get a bit more gun down the road. Most women seem to like semi auto's. I think a mod 1100 cut down to fit would be about as good as it get's.

"...to see if she wants to get into competitions..." You ask her?
No buying stuff for anybody without then being there to try it on for size. Take her shopping.
"...ladies shotguns..." No such thing. Any firearm must fit the shooter and that has nothing to do with gender.
Muddy Girl shotguns(Not a specific brand. All the manufacturers have jumped on that name. Some are calling it the camouflage pattern with pink in it.) and the assorted pink AR stocks, etc., are about marketing.

Muddy Girl is a camo brand pattern. Get any gun in 20 gauge that fits your needs and budget. Then go to boydsgunstocks.com and find the model of gun you have and choose a pattern with pink or purple in it. It magically becomes a ladies gun.

My I suggest the Rizzini BR110 - Sporter - Hunting or Competition Model - Over an Under - 12, 16, 20, 28 or 410 gauge

Editor's choice - Outdoor Life - Shotgun of the Year - 2018

Field And Stream - Voted best upland shotgun of 2017

http://www.rizziniusa.com

The "Best" path is to let her try several. You are in an area with several sporting clays and trap clubs, many have loaners/rentals, many have used guns for sale as well.

Get her signed up for an intro course with a decent instructor and let them work with her. Most clubs have shotgun fit guys as well, which is the next step regardless of what gun she gets. But, she should be integrally involved in the selection.

I'd agree that a Semi is going to have less felt recoil and there are several that would work...when properly fit. I'd not worry about it saying "Youth" or "Lady" at all. It is about the reliability of the action and getting it fit to the shooter.

MarkCO , yes forget the gender ! We now have women who are 6 ' tall !
A semi-auto is a better choice than pump
Find a gun that fits or make alterations Take good lessons as it shortens the learning curve.

Repetition don't hurt

Bring your daughter with you when shopping. In addition to breaking targets rather than missing them a shotgun that FITS makes a tremendous difference in felt recoil.
I just don't understand "recoil junkies" at all, not even a little. Some kind of macho thing I guess. The younger folks will learn the hard way.

What's your daughter like. My cousin has a daughter who's a teenager yet my grandpa has a daughter who's 60. Age, size, and weight could be a big factor.

I'm a fan of the Mossberg 500 super bantam in 20 gauge. It comes with 2 recoil pads and a spacer to lengthen it from 12 inches or so length of pull to 14 or something like that. My wife is 5 foot and a hair over 100 pounds and it works great for her. I bought this one used and i'm sure I could get the same money out of it again.

But buying a lady a gun is something she has to be there for. It needs a custom fit.

How big is she? If she's small, consider a 20 gauge. I had a classmate who in her college days a skeet shooting champion. Short (around 5'5" or 5'4"), she used an Italian O/U in 12 ga.

Take her to the store and fit her there. Like handguns for wives/gf, it's not what you like but what she finds that fits her hand.

Browning also sells "micro" versions of many of their guns, with shorter stocks to fit jr and female shooters.

I bought a BT-99 a while back without realizing it was a micro version of the gun. I un-micro'd it by putting a Gracoil recoil reducer on it without shortening the stock, this brought the length of pull back up to around 14 inches and I have had good results shooting this gun, shooting 198/200 in the Texas Trap Shooters Association Zone V singles championships with 99 on the first bank and another 99 on the second bank. Now they call me "Mr 99" at the trap and skeet club. Well of course I shoot 99's, the gun IS a BT-99 after all.:D

Got to take her with when shopping. Better yet, go to a range that rents shotguns and let her bust clays with a few options. Doing both resulted in my wife finding the right shotgun for her:
Beretta A400 28ga, stock cust to custom length for her with a recoil pad.

If she just needs a basic shotgun, a Remington 870 Compact in black synthetic or wood is great. The Compact synthetic comes with stock extenders as well so you can lengthen it.

I know Remington gets a bad rap from some folks, but these are great shotguns for a smaller frame.

They also make an 11-87 in the same configuration.

TO Heir there is for sure such a thing as a lady shotgun

It is not at all just about high/reach

As I am sure you know a ladys anatomy differs from a man, how to put this gently??? The chest area is very different and head/neck

A shotgun fit for an average youth boy prolly wont fit a lady even if she has the same high/weight as that boy

Even a small/average lady can shoot 12g just fine if the fit is good

Back