Lacquered ammo?

Wrothgar

I got some of this for the mosin. What does it mean? I took it out of the box and its not oil or anything. I don't get it.

The cases are made of a low grade steel which is less expensive than brass. The lacquer coating is to prevent the cases from rusting in storage.

Just shoot and enjoy. I do clean my 91/30's chamber with a 20 gauge bore brush just to be safe. Fun rifle, cheap ammo.
MOSIN NAGANT91-30.jpg

Last edited:
There is also a small potential for those cases to cause the bolt to stick a bit on occasion. Shouldn't cause any greater problems if you clean the chamber well like others have suggested.

The Germans had trouble with their early lacquered cases in machineguns when the barrels got hot. I think the Russian stuff is a lot better and besides you probably can't get 1200 rounds a minute out of your Mosin.

Jim

I shoot the lacquered stuff (Romanian 8mm surplus from the 1970s) out of my Mauser. very infrequently I have to put a little extra into the bolt action to chamber a new round. other than that, the stuff has not had a misfire or other problem yet!! at about 33 cents a round, it makes me a happy shooter. :)

As far as I know modern conquered ammo can only cause a problem in one case.
You fire it out of a gun rapid fire and some of it melt.
Then you fire some old brass milsurp with brittle brass. The brass expands onto the lacquered area and sticks. When the extractor pulls on the old brittle brass it rips it up instead of extracting the case.

The brittle brass can be fired anytime after the lacquer coated, not necessarily while it is still hot.
I have not experienced this, but I read an online report from someone who had done a reasonably scientific study of the problem and only had the problem under this circumstance and was able to repeat the results reliably.

Back