LA/TX minimum caliber?

wayneinFL

Anybody know if there is a minimum caliber for handgun hunting for deer/hog in TX/LA? I'm working in Louisiana, and carrying a handgun, but might get a chance to hunt at some point. I perused several pages of regs and didn't see anything, but figured I'd double check.

Check on the Texas Parks and Wildlife website, I believe they have a link there to the rules.

Good luck.

SFAIK in Texas, no restrictions for deer hunting, other than it can't be rimfire. Common sense says at least .38 Special, although a .357 is much better. Some guys use .40s and .45ACP, although mostly at bow-hunting distances.

As far as the common sense goes, I'm looking at bow hunting distances. I've never shot at anything over 25 yards anyway. So for simplicity, I'm looking to bring an accurate, full sized carry gun. I have a 357, 41 mag, 10mm, 44 mag, 480 Ruger, but a hunt would be more of a side trip and hate to bring a hand cannon and leave it in the hotel while I'm working.

The main thing I'm looking to get out of the thread is some assurance from a few locals that I didn't miss something while perusing the regulations.

I can't speak for LA.

TX no rimfired cartridges for deer.
Hogs any legal weapon. Each state should have a Parks and Wildlife website.

As long as you can legally own a handgun in Texas you may have it in your car, should be no reason to leave it in the hotel.

Working in New Orleans, not TX. We've had materials and equipment stolen from jobsites, hotels, and locked vehicles. Not leaving a gun in a hotel or a car, even if I had a car there.

Just a suggestion .357 Magnum with a Six inch barrel as a bare minimum.

Recommendation, .44 Magnum with a 7 1/2 inch Barrel.

Basically a Ruger Super Blackhawk is a good proven hunting pistol that combines light weight with very acceptable power and recoil.

Back