L1A1 FAL help

orsogato

Hi all,

I have seen at a local gunshop an L1A1 sporter which I think was assembled by century Arms.

The shop owner said it was a inch/ metric hybrid, it could take metric mags, etc. The price was $675

What receivers are these, and what is the deal w/ inch/ metric hybrid. I had thought there were either inch pattern rifles or metric. I have a metric that I love, but I am getting the urge to sell some old bolt guns and pick up another FAL before they are completely verboten in the U.S.S.A.

Should I stay away from this rifle or is it a decent deal.

Thanks

Orso

You might be better off staying away from inch/metric mixes. Quite a few people have trouble sighting them in because of the differences between the inch rear sight and the metric front (if it was assembled this way). If the only the receiver is metric it's probably not a bad deal.

It may be a POS or it may be a righteous weapon. The only way to tell is to test it.
Ask if you can fire it before making the sale final. Or if its not to your sat - if you could return it.

Look at it this way - its a semi auto detachible box fed .308 battle rifle. 675 isnt a bad price for that.

The inch/metric mix is common on older Century guns. They built them with metric lowers and inch uppers. The subassemblies can be interchanged as a whole but individual parts cannot be interchanged (i.e. inch pattern hammer in a metric lower). The main problem as stated above is sighting. I believe that the inch pattern sights are lower (shorter) than the metric pattern's (could be other way around, I forget offhand).
Look for a mfgr's name on the upper receiver. The older Century firearms were built on Imbel receivers. Some of the newer ones are built on Hesse receivers, I'd stay away from the Hesse unless you know what you're looking for and can satisfactorily try it out. Hesse is getting a spotty reputation on the net for shoddy workmanship.

Back